Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

Bear in mind the Amarok has the smallest interior of the mainstream pickups (as told by a mate who's a big fella but ended up getting one anyway!)

One customer has a merc 814 box lorry for his Vimek forwarder, aims the tail lift down + some small extension ramps and drives straight up looks like a mini workshop inside too, very smart.

thought of a 4x4 flatbed lorry instead? just use it specifically for the forwarder, no need for CPC even.

WWW.PKTRUCKS.COM

New Fuso-Mitsubishi Canter 6C18 RHD 4x4 Chassis cabin (2014), euro 5 emission. For sale at pk trucks. Available...

9 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Bear in mind the Amarok has the smallest interior of the mainstream pickups (as told by a mate who's a big fella but ended up getting one anyway!)

One customer has a merc 814 box lorry for his Vimek forwarder, aims the tail lift down + some small extension ramps and drives straight up looks like a mini workshop inside too, very smart.

thought of a 4x4 flatbed lorry instead? just use it specifically for the forwarder, no need for CPC even.

WWW.PKTRUCKS.COM

New Fuso-Mitsubishi Canter 6C18 RHD 4x4 Chassis cabin (2014), euro 5 emission. For sale at pk trucks. Available...

I sat as a passenger inside an Amarok a few months back and it seemed quite spacious. Maybe different behind the wheel.

A 4x4 lorry isn't what I need now. I'm not doing so much mileage with my small machines, so it's an occassional heavy towing, backup work vehicle and backup family vehicle that is required.

• Like 1

I've only skim read this thread so might have missed something but in terms of pickups Isuzu have done well for us (80 and 25k miles on them at the moment and no out of the ordinary issues).

The 2018 model which is manual tows well, has enough space for my dad and me who are both 6'3 and averages about 29mpg delivering firewood on bad roads. It also has 5year warranty and is obviously tax deductible. 

Our ones aren't high spec interiors but they're comfortable enough and there's plenty of options. 

Never seen a Ssangyong pickup but we're happy with our rexton which we went for after seeing the price of a new discovery...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gdh said:

I've only skim read this thread so might have missed something but in terms of pickups Isuzu have done well for us (80 and 25k miles on them at the moment and no out of the ordinary issues).

The 2018 model which is manual tows well, has enough space for my dad and me who are both 6'3 and averages about 29mpg delivering firewood on bad roads. It also has 5year warranty and is obviously tax deductible. 

Our ones aren't high spec interiors but they're comfortable enough and there's plenty of options. 

Never seen a Ssangyong pickup but we're happy with our rexton which we went for after seeing the price of a new discovery...

I've briefly driven a friends D-max and didn't get on with it. Very cramped for me and first gear is very high. At the time I had a Citreon Relay and first gear on idle in the D-max was the same speed as second gear on idle in the relay.

• Like 1

Narrow 4wd van. VW. No idea about towing but power is probably good.

You're the problem though, J. I suspect you'll be happier and just as productive when you decide that you can't beat them and should join them. You still have to back up in a small car when you meet someone driving the other way. You might as well back up in a big vehicle.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Narrow 4wd van. VW. No idea about towing but power is probably good.

You're the problem though, J. I suspect you'll be happier and just as productive when you decide that you can't beat them and should join them. You still have to back up in a small car when you meet someone driving the other day. You might as well back up in a big vehicle.

Yes and no. I have the Berlingo, which is quite small, but the width of something like the Sprinter is a particular issue at this time of year when backing up as many of the lanes are narrower than the van once the hedges grow out. That's OK if you're going forwards, but then if you need your mirrors going backwards, all you see is hedge. Mostly ferns to be honest.

The VW Transporters only tow 2500kg max.

19 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Put your past experiences behind you and go test drive a Nissan 

Haha! You would say that. If I'm a Navara hater, then you're the other end of the scale. It's a fair point though, as it is a different truck entirely. 

1 minute ago, Steve Bullman said:

Not the other end of the scale at all, in fact I’m looking for something different myself. Not because I’m unhappy with them. Just that after 10 years I fancy a change 

Fair enough. I suppose that if you're no longer doing tree work, there are more practical and comfortable vehicles as a daily driver.