Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

19 minutes ago, Big J said:

Rubbish.

If you've got two like for like trucks and one does 10mpg more, obviously that's going to be a consideration. 

I wouldn't get too hung up mpg. My Isuzu was supposedly about the best for mpg (37 I think) when I got it and it averaged 27 around here with logs loads and trailing. My 10 year old Hilux with 130k on clock manages 25mpg. Book numbers and real world numbers seem to be a world apart these days and you are never going to get great numbers when hauling loads around Devon hills

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

I wouldn't get too hung up mpg. My Isuzu was supposedly about the best for mpg (37 I think) when I got it and it averaged 27 around here with logs loads and trailing. My 10 year old Hilux with 130k on clock manages 25mpg. Book numbers and real world numbers seem to be a world apart these days and you are never going to get great numbers when hauling loads around Devon hills

I agree. I don't generally, and the various tow vehicles I'm looking at (like the V10 Touareg) are quite fuel inefficient on paper. That being said, an underpowered engine has to work so hard when towing on hills that I'm sure something more powerful would be better, even if it was worse on paper. I'm lucky to get 18mpg with the Sprinter when towing the forwarder on the lanes. I can't see that being any worse with a 310bhp V10, and at least I won't end up doing 16mph with my foot stapled to the floor in second, which was the case on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Consider employing Mike Axle-Berg or Mark Ashton to build a "G" Wagen to your desired spec, with an OM606 turbo diesel and a 7.5mm(or larger if desired) Dieselmekkan IP,  power can be "well sufficient", and zero electronics to fret about.

Both of them favour a MB 6 speed manual, but a purely mechanical/vaccum operated MB Auto box is also an option. Again zero electronics needed.

Their work is equivalent to, and perhaps betters MB factory standards, as even a cursory glance beneath the bonnet will reveal.

If this thread does not "show" to non gwagenregister members, look up the "gwagenregister.com" and consider joining.

Regards,

Marcus

link

GWAGENREGISTER.COM

Edited by difflock

5 minutes ago, difflock said:

Consider employing Mike Axle-Berg or Mark Ashton to build a "G" Wagen to your desired spec, with an OM606 turbo diesel and a 7.5mm(or larger if desired) Dieselmekkan IP,  power can be "well sufficient", and zero electronics to fret about.

Both of them favour a MB 6 speed manual, but a purely mechanical/vaccum operated MB Auto box is also an option. Again zero electronics needed.

Their work is equivalent to, and perhaps betters MB factory standards, as even a cursory glance beneath the bonnet will reveal.

If this thread does not "show" to non gwagenregister members, look up the "gwagenregister.com" and consider joining.

Regards,

Marcus

link

GWAGENREGISTER.COM

That's very lovely, but expensive I'd imagine.

BigJ,

£50K (ish), and whether that included the now sold  camper unit I am not sure,

BUT, unlike most other vehicles NOT subject to massive depreciation.

And considering the hours of loving labour invested, and all photo-documented seriously good value inmho.

Btw.

I have recently trysted to buy a 1988 LWB re-engined with an OM605 and the 6 speed manual(but by an Irish Engineer, Gordon Lucas) as our next daily driver/lifetime keeper, since I have had a bellyfull of modern car electronics in the Skoda Octavia.

I will live with the sub 30 mpg, since now retired, we do few miles.

I was seriously looking at an LWB 460 re-engined with the legendary OM 606 and with a purely vacuum operated Automatic box, but it was a lot more money.

(starting at 37k Euros, recently reduced to 30k Euros and sensible offers invited, for a pre 1990 vehicle!)

Anyway we still got, and intend to keep our 290GD Automatic 1999 Steyr Puch van, which is booked in for a strip-down and  full body respray Jan next.

So did not really need a 2nd automatic, especially since wor daughter still prefers driving a manual?

Am I "G"rabbiting on a bit ?

Marcus

Edited by difflock