Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

On 25/08/2019 at 10:03, Stihllymok said:

Don't post much but this thread popped up...

I'm a big amarok fan...had them for the last 7 years...and that's just the 2.0L version.

Stick a set of All Terrains on them and they go pretty much anywhere...we've done loads of greenlanes in the lakes...much to the surprise of the resident Landrover mob!

Good residuals...car like comfort ..massive rear tray...and the V6 goes like stonk.

What's not to like...apart from not the cheapest..but we all buy Stihl or husky don't we...???

The Amorok has the lowest legal towing capacity out there in the 4x4 truck market.
Stupidly the V6 has lower towing capacity that the lower powered version.

2 minutes ago, scraggs said:

The Amorok has the lowest legal towing capacity out there in the 4x4 truck market.
Stupidly the V6 has lower towing capacity that the lower powered version

Big part of the reason I don't want to move away from defender/discovery despite the many benefits from other types of work vehicle- the answer to what it can tow, and tow well(despite what the landrover haters say) is 3500kg. End of, not spec dependent, doesn't mater what weights on the vehicle, 3500kgs it is.?

3 minutes ago, william127 said:

Big part of the reason I don't want to move away from defender/discovery despite the many benefits from other types of work vehicle- the answer to what it can tow, and tow well(despite what the landrover haters say) is 3500kg. End of, not spec dependent, doesn't mater what weights on the vehicle, 3500kgs it is.?

Yes I agree- there is plenty wrong with a defender- but what they do have right is the robustness of the Diffs/drivetrain/chassis etc, the bits that really count if your doing heavy towing- but fairly certain I won’t be able to convince Big J to buy a defender!

4 minutes ago, william127 said:

Same here, the only reason I am still using the 130 landy is there is nothing else with a 7000kg train weight.
I was hoping when the V6 Amorok came out it was going to be near that but instead they made it less.
The only truck that I can find that comes close is the 4x4 Iveco but it's truck payload is not as good as the Landy, I was going to order one but the dealer couldn't get a demo vehicle, and at the price it was I wasn't prepared to take a chance that I would like it.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Yes I agree- there is plenty wrong with a defender- but what they do have right is the robustness of the Diffs/drivetrain/chassis etc, the bits that really count if your doing heavy towing- but fairly certain I won’t be able to convince Big J to buy a defender!

Haha would he even fit in one :)

1 minute ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I have suggested it in one of his threads in the past- 110 van with a bulkhead removal bar, little momo steering wheel and extended seat runners- I'm 6'5 and a lot chunkier than most, it has more leg room than ANYTHING else I've had/driven,- D2, troopers, Dmax, freelander, Jag x type, Rangers, hiluxes(mk3/4s).

Plus 180bhp, 400 odd n/m, 30+mpg on a run, low range works on the road without blowing the centre diff, 7000kg train weight, gives boy racers a right shock......

But they are true marmite vehicle and you really have to WANT one, otherwise it'll just annoy you all the time...

I'm currently seriously considering a standard, swb, 12 ish plate sprinter van as a day to day truck, but that would mean getting rid of something else??

On 25/08/2019 at 20:09, benedmonds said:

Have you considered getting a personal vehicle and just claiming of the company 45p a mile for business miles. I have very different needs but I got bored of driving vans and wanted something with decent mpg and the ability to ferry the kids around. 

I did think that this morning as it happens. I think that this might be the most sensible option, though I don't think 45p a mile would cover the cost of running a V10 Touareg.

45 minutes ago, william127 said:

Well I'm really glad I read this thread, while I'm thinking about changing trucks.?? Or not. maybe a sprinter van. Or a cabstar tipper. but I'm a bit tall.  Maybe a v10 toerag. Maybe a get rid of everything I've got and get a D4 commercial. Or a pair of td5 discos. Another 3.0trooper. Or a pair????

Sod it, new (used) tractor it is.??

I've always been plagued by this kind of indecision as regards vehicles. I love driving, and really enjoy driving different vehicles. Given the unattainable list of requirements I have for a vehicle, it's no wonder I'm swithering between about 67 different trucks! ?

20 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Stupidly the V6 has lower towing capacity that the lower powered version.

Easily and quickly uprated by SV Tech to 3500kg/3500kg for a total 7000kg GTW

7 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Not a bloody chance. Considering that they are unpowered, hideously uncomfortable, unreliable and 40 years out of date, I'd rather use my Valtra for commuting. It's genuinely more comfortable and with a top speed of 23mph, not much slower!

4 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Haha would he even fit in one :)

No. 6ft 8" + Defender ownership = a serious osteopathy habit

10 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Same here, the only reason I am still using the 130 landy is there is nothing else with a 7000kg train weight.
I was hoping when the V6 Amorok came out it was going to be near that but instead they made it less.
The only truck that I can find that comes close is the 4x4 Iveco but it's truck payload is not as good as the Landy, I was going to order one but the dealer couldn't get a demo vehicle, and at the price it was I wasn't prepared to take a chance that I would like it.

I think you can get Dmaxs and maybe others uprated to it now? 

But that's got to be around the 30k mark, I'll never spend that on a vehicle- I'd rather have 7 or 8 cheap ones that 1s life span...

But that comes down to different personal ways of doing things I suppose.

• Like 1

Have you considered the Toyota landcruiser commercial?

It only has a 3 ton towing limit but you might be able to up-rate it.

WWW.AUTOTRADER.CO.UK

Price: £29,994. Very rare Landcruiser Short Wheel Base finished in Astral Black. Dual zone air conditioning, remote locking, keyless entry and automatic sensors are standard. Warranty until March 2023. Price excludes VAT
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, tonytree said:

Have you considered the Toyota landcruiser commercial?

It only has a 3 ton towing limit but you might be able to up-rate it.

WWW.AUTOTRADER.CO.UK

Price: £29,994. Very rare Landcruiser Short Wheel Base finished in Astral...

Yours for only £30k plus vat for base model. The money some people spend on work vehicles always amazes me. I think even if I won the lottery I’d cry handing over £30k for a Porsche or similar toy never mind something I’m going to bash, scratch and use as a vice and workbench occasionally. Is it just me being a tight arse?

• Like 2