Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Yep like a mustang?

joking, kinda. It will likely still be a pickup for the tax and vat benefits 

You're in the same boat as me. I'd use the Berlingo for 80% of my work usage, but a pickup is attractive for financial reasons, as well as being a backup family vehicle capable of towing heavy when I need it.

J,

I do sympathise but are you getting work done? I imagine broadly speaking yes.

I've tried to chase down ideal vehicles before and the answer is that for people like us with higher/more versatile than average demands, they don't exist or they do exist and they're mega rare/expensive/old/whatever. I'm much happier now I've got better at accepting imperfection and get 95% of stuff done fine. Drive old shitters and accept they'll get hit/scratched. Justify it to yourself however you want. Fit in with local style maybe. Think of yourself like George Orwell in Down and Out. Slum it for the experience. A Delica would probably be an excellent introduction for you to the notion of cheap vehicles being good.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, AHPP said:

J,

I've tried to chase down ideal vehicles before and the answer is that for people like us with higher/more versatile than average demands, they don't exist or they do exist and they're mega rare/expensive/old/whatever. I'm much happier now I've got better at accepting imperfection and get 95% of stuff done fine. Drive old shitters and accept they'll get hit/scratched. Justify it to yourself however you want. Fit into with local style maybe. Think of yourself like George Orwell in Down and Out. Slum it for the experience. A Delica would probably be an excellent introduction for you to the notion of cheap vehicles being good.

Amen. My 2003 LDV (only 30,000 on the clock!!) might look a bit pikey, but the micro digger it carries is brand new. That's what makes the money. I don't cry when I scratch my 57 plate Ranger or 09 Corsa van either. Or the Merc Vito (51 plate)

All bases and requirements (eco, tow vehicle, 4WD, tipper, panel van) covered for under 10k. Cheap enough to fix myself, and rare I have issues as I look after them. Plenty of spare capacity also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

J,

I've tried to chase down ideal vehicles before and the answer is that for people like us with higher/more versatile than average demands, they don't exist or they do exist and they're mega rare/expensive/old/whatever. I'm much happier now I've got better at accepting imperfection and get 95% of stuff done fine. Drive old shitters and accept they'll get hit/scratched. Justify it to yourself however you want. Fit in with local style maybe. Think of yourself like George Orwell in Down and Out. Slum it for the experience. A Delica would probably be an excellent introduction for you to the notion of cheap vehicles being good.

It's a fair point. I'm open to suggestions, but the only thing that is fairly well resolved in my head is that the Sprinter isn't suitable for my daily needs anymore. I thought when we moved down here that I'd use my forestry contacts in southern Scotland to work there, so the Sprinter was going to be a mobile live/work van. I'm not heading far from home now and it's not ideal for the lanes.

I've always hankered after a V10 Touareg, but they are very expensive when they go wrong.

19 minutes ago, AHPP said:

And there must be better things you can buy as tax losses/investments. Machines? Building materials? Land? Shipping containers?

I'm not in the position to be spending that kind of money. Accepting that I have a need for a work vehicle, my theory is that it's best if it's classified as a business expense.

My cousin had (possibly still does) an LPG converted Touareg. Struck me as a very intelligently specified vehicle. I remember thinking the 4wd looked a good compromise for what is primarily a pretty luxurious and fast road car and there's every chance it punched above its weight towing too for it to stick in my head.