Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I've just measured my 811 mirror to mirror and your sprinter is wider than my 7.5 t truck. I'm amazed.

I double checked the specs - 2426mm. Hence the issues on the utterly terrible, completely unfit for purpose, third world Devon lanes......oh cripes, did I mention that again? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not tax deductible though. Has to be a pickup or a van.

You’ll have to suck that up if you want more choice on cars.

Your a hard man to please Big J
In summary I conclude for your vehicle search it’s your fault. You are too lanky thus limiting your choices.
There must be some Scottish blood there because you are trying to save on the tax at the cost of choice.
Move to the states , buy a Chevy and cruise the big highways crucifying the ozone layer as you tow an artic sized trailer around every day ......

On a serious note chap I’ll be interested to see what you end up getting. I like seeing and hearing how people’s 4x4s are holding up for work. I’ve owned plenty now , each with their own merits and irritations. For me I’m now I’m brand loyal with Toyota but that’s personal choice and good experience with their 4x4s. Our old shogun family car was very very good too.
The Amarok 3.2 might be worth a look for you. That engine has epic torque for towing and is big and full of luxury in the cabin.

I had moved away from Landrover but my pal has just bought a range rover with a 5 litre supercharged engine. I’ve told him when he’s bored of it I’m having it off him to tow trailers. When you stick your foot down the nearest thing to it is taking off down the runway in an aeroplane .... epic engine.

1 minute ago, lux said:

You’ll have to suck that up if you want more choice on cars.

Your a hard man to please Big J
In summary I conclude for your vehicle search it’s your fault. You are too lanky thus limiting your choices.
There must be some Scottish blood there because you are trying to save on the tax at the cost of choice.
Move to the states , buy a Chevy and cruise the big highways crucifying the ozone layer as you tow an artic sized trailer around every day ......

On a serious note chap I’ll be interested to see what you end up getting. I like seeing and hearing how people’s 4x4s are holding up for work. I’ve owned plenty now , each with their own merits and irritations. For me I’m now I’m brand loyal with Toyota but that’s personal choice and good experience with their 4x4s. Our old shogun family car was very very good too.
The Amarok 3.2 might be worth a look for you. That engine has epic torque for towing and is big and full of luxury in the cabin.

I had moved away from Landrover but my pal has just bought a range rover with a 5 litre supercharged engine. I’ve told him when he’s bored of it I’m having it off him to tow trailers. When you stick your foot down the nearest thing to it is taking off down the runway in an aeroplane .... epic engine.

The tax savings are quite substantial - for instance if I got a £30k vehicle (plus VAT), I'd have to swallow a £6k VAT bill if it didn't qualify as a commercial vehicle. 

I'm also fairly keen on a long warranty, as it just offers fixed price motoring. You know that it might break, but that you won't have to foot the bill. I had a D40 Navara from 2011-2016 and it went into the garage 29 times in it's warranty period. It didn't like proper work. The 2012 313CDI 4x4 Sprinter is a better truck, but I've had issues with various sensors tripping up the ABS and ESP system, knocking out 4 wheel drive and cruise control. It's a good van though, and remapped to 160bhp (with the corresponding torque increase), it's fairly brisk. 

I really like the look of the Amarok, but it's serious money. You're up to almost £40k plus VAT by the time you've got a canopy, tow bar and other bits and bobs. And then you have to do the paper exercise with SV Tech (about £300) to uprate the gross train weight and towing capacity to 7000/3500kg respectively as it's lower from VW.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

The tax savings are quite substantial - for instance if I got a £30k vehicle (plus VAT), I'd have to swallow a £6k VAT bill if it didn't qualify as a commercial vehicle. 

I'm also fairly keen on a long warranty, as it just offers fixed price motoring. You know that it might break, but that you won't have to foot the bill. I had a D40 Navara from 2011-2016 and it went into the garage 29 times in it's warranty period. It didn't like proper work. The 2012 313CDI 4x4 Sprinter is a better truck, but I've had issues with various sensors tripping up the ABS and ESP system, knocking out 4 wheel drive and cruise control. It's a good van though, and remapped to 160bhp (with the corresponding torque increase), it's fairly brisk. 

I really like the look of the Amarok, but it's serious money. You're up to almost £40k plus VAT by the time you've got a canopy, tow bar and other bits and bobs. And then you have to do the paper exercise with SV Tech (about £300) to uprate the gross train weight and towing capacity to 7000/3500kg respectively as it's lower from VW.

Back on serious. The Amarok is a brilliant truck if you can stretch to it, my brother had one that was uprated by SV, go anywhere, tow anything.

• Like 1

Dig deep in those pockets Big j. I feel the Amarok is calling you
Try finding a demo from VW that’s up for sale. Once they hit 9 months the dealers have to shift them on ASAP otherwise it costs them money so there’s deals to be had.
Also try Shere 4x4 ( their pickups branch ) it’s just down the rd from me. That place only stocks the best used ones. With and without vat but mostly with. He will find you a really tidy one no problem.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Back on serious. The Amarok is a brilliant truck if you can stretch to it, my brother had one that was uprated by SV, go anywhere, tow anything.

258bhp with overboost to 272bhp would be damned handy. When I'm not towing, I'm usually trying to get somewhere in reasonable time, and inevitably you get stuck behind someone. The ability to pass quickly and safely is important. For instance, on one trip home from site (a fraction over an hour usually), I worked out that I lost just under 10 minutes to just one car that was holding up traffic on the Crediton - Exeter road. 

But anyway, I appreciate the feedback on the Amarok. I need to go drive one.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

258bhp with overboost to 272bhp would be damned handy. When I'm not towing, I'm usually trying to get somewhere in reasonable time, and inevitably you get stuck behind someone. The ability to pass quickly and safely is important. For instance, on one trip home from site (a fraction over an hour usually), I worked out that I lost just under 10 minutes to just one car that was holding up traffic on the Crediton - Exeter road. 

But anyway, I appreciate the feedback on the Amarok. I need to go drive one.

I feel your pain about the roads, from where I live I average 30 miles per hour, it's one of those things that I have to suffer. Go try an Amarok and let us know how you get on, I'd be very surprised if you aren't impressed.

• Like 1