Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

1 minute ago, scraggs said:

The old one was Merc based, this new one isn't, I believe it's their own.
I was going to demo one but the dealer won't fit a towbar to the demo truck, that speaks volumes for me.
Also been warned about the price of parts.

The dealer here has one as his work vehicle, and delivers vehicles by trailer. He said I was welcome to borrow their demo with trailer to tow my forwarder around on the hills to try it out. That was somewhat reassuring :) 

• Like 1

I did test drive the Ranger and I wasn't impressed. Hard, uncomfortable ride and obtrussive gearbox with a lot of random auto changes. Didn't feel quick either.

I'm disinclined to buy used now. The cost of repairs on an older vehicle is such an unknown. My uncle once said to me that with vehicles, you always lose money. On older vehicles it's on repairs, on newer vehicles it's depreciation. I'd rather lose on depreciation and hopefully minimise down time. I'm in the fortunate position of running two work vehicles, so always have a backup, but neither is capable of doing everything the other does.

Jesus, I don't know what to do. Why can't Ford just stick the 6.6l Duramax into the Ranger? I'd have that in a heartbeat! 

I think on the latest ranger it’s only a smaller engine option with a 10 speed auto.
I looked at the ssangyong at a local show. Very car like. The rear tub is tiny in comparison to other pick ups do not great for tools.
I’m not sure the ssangyong would be too great off rd if that’s important.
I believe Toyota are going to bring the 2.8 litre hilux to the uk next year. That’ll be good.
My 3 litre hilux has been great.

11 hours ago, lux said:

I think on the latest ranger it’s only a smaller engine option with a 10 speed auto.
I looked at the ssangyong at a local show. Very car like. The rear tub is tiny in comparison to other pick ups do not great for tools.
I’m not sure the ssangyong would be too great off rd if that’s important.
I believe Toyota are going to bring the 2.8 litre hilux to the uk next year. That’ll be good.
My 3 litre hilux has been great.

The smaller load space isn't an issue. I have the Berlingo van, which has more load space than any pickup, should I need it. 

I just need a strong replacement tow vehicle that can go off road a bit. I'm not planning any crazy offroading and after a winter on mud terrains I've concluded that it's just better to get out and walk a bit rather than living with tractor tyres day in, day out. Ideally, the vehicle would be a bit more compact than my existing 4x4 Sprinter, which is 8ft wide. And needs plenty of power due to the hills.

Hilux's have always struck me as reliable but very basic. Also, for me (6ft 8"), they are very small inside.

The smaller load space isn't an issue. I have the Berlingo van, which has more load space than any pickup, should I need it. 

I just need a strong replacement tow vehicle that can go off road a bit. I'm not planning any crazy offroading and after a winter on mud terrains I've concluded that it's just better to get out and walk a bit rather than living with tractor tyres day in, day out. Ideally, the vehicle would be a bit more compact than my existing 4x4 Sprinter, which is 8ft wide. And needs plenty of power due to the hills.

Hilux's have always struck me as reliable but very basic. Also, for me (6ft 8"), they are very small inside.

If you don’t need load space don’t get a pickup. If it’s a tow vehicle get a land cruiser Amazon v8. You’ll have way more cabin space in a car 4x4 than any pickup due to the way they are configured.
Can’t say my hilux is basic, heated leather seats, touch screen etc etc.
Sounds like you need a winter set of tyres and a summer set of all terrains.
If you are set on the musso it comes in a car variant (which is why the tub is so small on the pickup as it’s an identical vehicle)

1 minute ago, lux said:

If you don’t need load space don’t get a pickup. If it’s a tow vehicle get a land cruiser Amazon v8. You’ll have way more cabin space in a car 4x4 than any pickup due to the way they are configured.
Can’t say my hilux is basic, heated leather seats, touch screen etc etc.
Sounds like you need a winter set of tyres and a summer set of all terrains.
If you are set on the musso it comes in a car variant (which is why the tub is so small on the pickup as it’s an identical vehicle)

Not tax deductible though. Has to be a pickup or a van.