Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

In fairness Big J does have a point- from a purely practical point the roads are largely dreadful and unfit for modern traffic. But I’d still argue my point in the other thread that this is the price we pay for living in a relatively unspoilt area, however in my view the areas where they ‘improved’ the road systems it has changed the whole area, brought more houses with it, or maybe the houses brought the roads, isolated and fragmented communities- personally happy to put up with the bad roads if that is the bottleneck in development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big J said:

You're not making a single coherent point.

Devon and Cornwall appears to have one of the highest road casualty rates in the UK*. So much of it would be quite avoidable with an improvement in the road transport network. It's not about increasing profits for "capitalists" like myself. It's about improving every aspect of life for everyone. Being able to get to emergency healthcare more quickly, being able to reduce journey times, reduce risk when driving, reduce fuel consumption and improve overall productivity - the list is endless. I have no personal aspirations to make a fortune, rather I see productivity as a means of reducing one's need to work. If you work smart, rather than hard, it allows you to enjoy more time off and for everyone to have a better standard of living. Devon and Cornwall are in places really rather deprived and much of that can be attributed to the isolation caused by 19th century roads.

WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

THE UK's most dangerous accident hot spots have been revealed. Do you live near one of the most dangerous roads in Britain?

You really don't get it, do you?

• Like 1

Good point as regards the spares and the dealer network. The consensus from the Auto press is that Ssangyong are breaking into the mainstream now. The Musso does seem to review better than many of it's competitors, such as the L200, D-Max, Fiat and X Class. It appears to be on a par with the Hilux, Navara and Amarok. 

As regards the Devon lanes, I am attempting to accommodate the awfulness of the roads by changing my vehicle. I love my 4x4 Sprinter and on normal roads it's fine, and the mpg is fine. Not the case on the lanes, so I am looking to make a change. I'm perfectly entitled to complain about them, as they aren't fit for purpose, but understand that I'm personally making a substantial compromise to make living with them a little less unpleasant.

8 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Although keeping thread on track- for £25k+ it’s not vastly cheaper than Toyota/Nissan etc which will hold their value better, more secure dealer network(?)

Equivilent Ranger was £32k