Sangyong pick up truck

Steve Bullman

A mate is a mechanic at a multi make main dealers and they ditched Sangyong along with a couple of other brands as there were too many build quality problems which was going to get worse the older the vehicles got - iwarranty claims etc.

He rates Mitsubishi as they get these back for repairs less often than most

Have seen a few about, they now have 3 ton towing capacity which is a huge improvement on the earlier model.

They used to be based on Merc running gear, not sure if that's still the case.

If you take the price saving and write it off against the resale value I am not sure they work out cheaper in the long run though.

I've had a Ssanyongg Korando followed by a Musso pickup for over 5 years. Bought because they were cheap as chips & had Merc running gear (Early Sprinter engine & Merc/Borg Warner manual box), so they must be OK?

Well the only bits I haven't had trouble with are the Korean ones!! Head gasket at 110,000 miles, then variator weights on injection timing sprocket broke up leading to timing chain breaking & cam in 3 pieces & end of engine. (Both common problems with the Merc lump apparently)

Bought a car with knackered gearbox to get the engine. Headgasket just gone on that one too. Head warped so took it to Swansea Autos for pressure test & planing (not simple on these) " Oh we used to do HUNDREDS of these in the first Sprinters" they said.

I'm beginning to think only the Japs can make a decent engine.... but then there's the Knackered Navarra website - Ho hum!!!

dont knock what you dont know,...........ssang yong are a big player in the market, check out the tracked digger and construction industry, just remember the british motor industry laughed at the first far eastern builders........whos still going.......

I go past a garage in Turners Hill Sussex 3 times a week now Ssayoung Dealer formerly Saab. Intrested in a double xab with back, sort of like a Nissan Pathfinder, nice shade of mauve....trouble is they keep moving the stock round the front almost every day. Saw lickup in red and anotger in brown, better with some sort back on.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

6a8a7d38bf32554db2fd7a351ecc48c6.jpg

This is our one at work. The main supplier for all of NZ is around the corner so I'll get a few shots from there. They drive well for a ute as far as get up and go but I wouldn't pull anything big with them. They are only a lightweight ute. Never really had much go wrong with ours although they're a little plasticky inside. Don't know how'd they'd fair after 100 miles though. Small inside too.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk