SRT devices.

One of the side effects of this may be a reevaluation of the figure eight for use in tree climbing systems. Currently eights, if they are certified are certified under ce 795 for anchors, or 12278 for pulleys. There is no specific CE for friction brakes as far as I have found. I am curious to see how the industry reacts to not being able to descend from a standard footlock.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the side effects of this may be a reevaluation of the figure eight for use in tree climbing systems. Currently eights, if they are certified are certified under ce 795 for anchors, or 12278 for pulleys. There is no specific CE for friction brakes as far as I have found. I am curious to see how the industry reacts to not being able to descend from a standard footlock.

Never used an 8 myself, personally and it's just my opinion they are not fit for tree work in general particularly as PPE.

Foot locking is also a poor technique to be championing as an access method in this day and age, still a good skill to know.

Don't burst my bubble John:biggrin: as far as I am concerned a precedent has been set vindicating a knot set up as fit for purpose which is my understanding of the CE climb, you have to remember those guys like Beddes and Mark Bridge were climbing on Hitches for years and probably still do i doubt any of them ever set out with the intention of forcing people to use their CE Climb/lanyard.

I find it really strange Marc.

These guys were all about pioneering. I remember my first rope guide and the difference it made, and I owe them a lot of thanks for that.

Then Kevin designed the RW and SRT happened, and is still happening.

I thank Kevin even more for that, kept me climbing.

I don't understand why pioneers are deliberately trying to hold a system back?

Bullshit safety concerns have been addressed re TIPs etc. by those of us who have used SRT for access at least for several years now, without dying very often.

I know some of you guys stalk the site now and then, so it would be great to get a genuine honest answer about your anti-SRT stance.

Is it all about the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Edited by Mark Bolam

I think they are forced in Germany, I've also been told by a lad from the Bedfordshire amey depot they where not allowed to climb on any non CE marked gear so no making your own fishermans eye to eye Prussiks.

Dose that mean that splicing courses and people that do them are CE certified too? I don't know if that is part of it once gone through it. Maybe they already are. What about knot configuration as this differs greatly too. How deep can this go?