SRT devices.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you guys use RADs I wonder? - where you're hanging from a gri-gri with a hand ascender and pulley combo up ahead. When tie-in point is reached, the ascender can be left there, and you can then limb walk on something very much like a DDRT system with the gri-gri replacing the zigzag?

That's a bad idea in so many ways.

CE approved knot system. The only one out their as far as I'm aware is the CE lanyard. Bit difficult getting that one to pass onto a ddrt system with so many people liking so many knot variations. I can see a pretty tied set up being met with a lot of opposition.

I wonder how many accidents have been as a direct result of srt if this has prompted this action too.

ĢUFFF

I wonder how many accidents have been as a direct result of srt

/QUOTE]

I'll bet none at all.

Although I'm sure there have been many accidents that occurred whilst on an SRT system due to user error. This could happen on a ddrt system just as easily.

You can legislate the hell out of anything and add infinite layers of bureaucracy but you can't account for carelessness and stupidity.

We're not supposed to climb trees with a saw if there is any possibly option to use a MEWP. Have you seen the number of reported MEWP accidents??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

After half an hour of climbing on the ZK1 for the first time when it came out it dawned on me that there were new,easier and more ergonomic ways of tree climbing on the horizon. I had to use Someone else's gear recently to climb a very large Chesnut as I didn't have my kit. I used DDRT with typical Valdotain setup. I found it utterly arduous. Any experienced SRT climber will know the potential of the technique and the options that are open when climbing this way. If find it bizzare that as stated previously in this thread that the 'heavy hitters' of the Arb equipment world are so slow to produce a really great arborist SRT device that can be used for work positioning and access as well.

It all seems very stuffy and out of date to me.

There are no European best practice guides for SRT in arboriculture and this could be why they are so slow to embrace the idea.

Just look at how out of date our UK best practice guide is (guide to good climbing practice). Good at the time but laughable by today's standards.

There are also no EN numbers specific to rigging equipment yet there is an array of rigging gear widely available in Germany. I wonder if they will ban all of that as well?

My device of choice is the Bull dog bone. It just blows everything else I've used out of the water for ease of use, quick attachment and it just doesn't seem to wear out. Obviously that's only my opinion based on my experiences.

Why so?

RADS is very slow and still takes a bit of effort despite the mechanical advantage . You lose all benefit of 1:1 srt in a rads ascent . The grigri is a super piece of kit don't get me wrong but only as a progress capture device and direct unobstructed descent tool .It's not designed for tree work , just my take on it ..