Deer Fencing

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago, I asked our local Wildlife Enforcement Officer what to do about the deer. He suggested a simple 4 foot tall woven wire (field fence) on the outside of my garden, then on the exterior side of the fence placing a horizontal arm about 12 inches out to string a battery or solar "hot" wire used for livestock. Deer prefer to duck under, rather than leap over obstructions, but deer hair is hollow and doesn't conduct an electric current. Our Jefferson County Agent, Phillip, said the secret is to put strips of heavy duty aluminum foil every few feet along the hot wire, smeared with creamy peanut butter.

Apparently, deer cannot resist the smell of peanut butter and will stick out a nice sloppy, wet tongue which makes a very good conductor for electricity. My first reaction was, "What if I come out the next morning and there's a deer "stuck" to the fence?" Never batting an eye, he just said, “Dianna, you don't use 220 volts." ("Well, no venison fattened on my apples and grapes tonight.")

Just found this on interweb so it must be true!! [QUO

I used to work with cattle and they need to be trained to an electric fence or the can just run through it. I also worked with deer but never used electric fence for them. I can understand how they would jump through a fence. You are probably right but I know a few that offer electric fences for deer and we did consider it at the place I was looking after deer before