Helmet advice please.....

Jack and the Beanstalk

We have a female tree surgeon who is rather petite and we have having all sorts of problems trying to get her a helmet. The real issue is with her head is that the ear defenders do not cover her ears properly as the gap between her ears and her jaw is quite big, so it doesn't seal properly at the bottom and potentially she is then open to all sorts of loud noise as you can imagine. She has tried all of the adult Petzl helmets and the Kong helmet. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this and could possibly recommend where I try next.

I could get a standard climbing helmet, but they don't have the attachments for the ear defenders. Any advice you could give would be gratefully received.

Edited by Jack and the Beanstalk
mistake made

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try the msa 31 snr ear muffs as they are wider and do clamp down more. Standard 30mm slot fitting. Or the ct climbing helmet, we have sold quite a few of these as they fit smaller heads but you can have issues as they don't seem to clamp the ear muffs down a well due to the bracket on the helmet.

A bit of swings and roundabouts there. Best if you can find a local dealer who stocks both of the above and give them a try.

The smallest fitting helmet I've found is the Kong Mouse. Tried a CT after a reccomendation but still too big (it fitted exactly the same as the Stein helmets, not sure why they are recommended as smaller). Petzls are huge, Pfanner even bigger. I had a Kong Magic once which was perfect, but nowhere seems to stock them.

A rock climbing helmet with earplugs and specs is the only option for a titchy head... I found that I was constantly breaking/loosing/forgetting the goggles and earplugs and went back to a poorly fitting helmet, but worth giving it a try as your lass might get on a bit better.

Alternatively she could try a bandana or similar to fill in the gap, but then you just get a sweaty head.

As a hard hat is a fairly crucial bit of ppe, is a bit baffling that no manufacturer has thought to make one a couple of inches smaller...

If her head is 51cm in diameter I think her hearing is probably the least of her problems.

Standing up would probably her biggest problem :lol:

A comfortable helmet and earplugs would be a better solution than throwing money at different ear muffs and helmets.