Transit getting hot.

eggsarascal

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eggs

If the stat is OK, then its either a blocked radiator or the water pump is not pumping sufficient flow, I had an overheating problem where the pump bowl had eroded & reduced flow once.

I suppose the upper galleries of the cylinder head could get blocked - Triumph Stags had an overheat problem when not filled with correct coolant if I recall.

Perhaps try connecting a hose pipe & giving the rad a flush through - it should prove flow & flush out any silt.

If the head is cracked, there will be emulsified white goo on the dipstick & the coolant level goes down but no apparent leak

Either that or your brakes are binding!

N

Edited by NFG

I suppose the upper galleries of the cylinder head could get blocked - Triumph Stags had an overheat problem when not filled with correct coolant if I recall.

N

A.little history lesson about Triumph Stag engines and overheating needed here I think.

The cooling system on the Stag works fine, but only just. Any silt build up, which happens over time due to the reaction between the head and block, will start to diminish the borderline efficiency of the cooling system, and so start overheating.

When the stag was made the block was cast, and even now an original engine will have casting sand in the waterways, as they weren't cleaned out properly!

Ensuring there no leaks is important, as the water pump sits on top of the engine block, so not much coolant needs to leak out before the pump runs dry[emoji33]

It's recommended to flush the cooling system every other year at the most, but a lot of owners do it annually.

My Stag has the original cooling system set up, and doesn't overheat. Had some hot laps around Le Mans last summer and still didn't overheat.

Type of coolant doesn't make it overheat. No coolant (or flow) makes it overheat.

Longlive the Triumph Stag!

Cheers...Al

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk

I'll give it a further look on Saturday.

NFG, your humor as just dawned on me.:001_smile:

Eggs & binding? thought it might get a smile. My O/H asked what I was typing about, 'just suggesting something for a tranny' was my reply...

Got that completely wrong.

Al - thanks for the info on the Stag cylinder head

N

Sounds like a blocked rad eG6, that or your gauge is telling you fibs.

Bod

One of our transits got hot once :)

imagejpg2_zpsfc2c14fd.jpg

What's it like to be right all the time b0D?

Radiator is blocked. How do I unblock it?

I've tried taking the bottom hose off and stuck an hose pipe in the top hose..... Water just spews out of the top hose.

What's my next move?

Hi Eggs,

Take rad out and turn it upside down to flush the other way. Try rad flush?

Have you changed/added antifreeze recently and mixed different types? This causes a jelly like substance that will block radiators.

Tree Surgeon - Woking | Cormack Tree Care Ltd

Watch ya Al.

I've not changed or mixed the antifreeze, it was done this time last year when it was serviced.

It looks like the rad will have to come off...... Happy days.:001_rolleyes:

Watch ya Al.

I've not changed or mixed the antifreeze, it was done this time last year when it was serviced.

It looks like the rad will have to come off...... Happy days.:001_rolleyes:

Looks that way mate. A radiator place will clean and flow test it if you can't get it clear.

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk