The cost £ of bad weather

TimberCutterDartmoor

Have you had a lot of rain up there TCD?

Unusually, we cracked on like gorillas in the mist today and ended up PWT by 10:00! Climber had 3 changes of clothes! I just slogged on cold, wet & grumpy but, as I said to the wife, that's the first day it's rained on the school run.

All our rain down here in the lowlands has been overnight, remarkably little during the day.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you had a lot of rain up there TCD?

Unusually, we cracked on like gorillas in the mist today and ended up PWT by 10:00! Climber had 3 changes of clothes! I just slogged on cold, wet & grumpy but, as I said to the wife, that's the first day it's rained on the school run.

All our rain down here in the lowlands has been overnight, remarkably little during the day.

St Awful...

But you're right, we've got off lightly this winter

I can't stand rain. In the wrong job you say. Perhaps!

Based on lack of production but also the hassle that accompanies the other little things that wet weather seems to cause I made a rough guestimate of the damage to my business in financial terms and came to an absolute minimum of £300/day and often nearer £1k/day.

I can see no circumstance whatsoever where rain might enhance your profit against dry / cold etc conditions.

Sure you can have a day in the shed, machine maintenance gets done more successfully than fighting bogged machines or other dangers out on the job but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Current weather seriously p155ing me off.

But it's only rained for a couple days

Weathers been dry and cold

I can't stand rain. In the wrong job you say. Perhaps!

Based on lack of production but also the hassle that accompanies the other little things that wet weather seems to cause I made a rough guestimate of the damage to my business in financial terms and came to an absolute minimum of £300/day and often nearer £1k/day.

I can see no circumstance whatsoever where rain might enhance your profit against dry / cold etc conditions.

Sure you can have a day in the shed, machine maintenance gets done more successfully than fighting bogged machines or other dangers out on the job but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Current weather seriously p155ing me off.

I used to work with a log chute on 1st thinnings extraction. It was crap in the dry weather, logs used to stick in it all the time, to the point you'd have to tip a 5 gallon drum of water down it a couple of times a day. In the wet it worked much better and bits would fly down and out.

Of course, working the log chute was it's own particular brand of Hell, and wet weather made working conditions worse, but it certainly helped to get the tonnage out.

I used to work with a log chute on 1st thinnings extraction. It was crap in the dry weather, logs used to stick in it all the time, to the point you'd have to tip a 5 gallon drum of water down it a couple of times a day. In the wet it worked much better and bits would fly down and out.

Of course, working the log chute was it's own particular brand of Hell, and wet weather made working conditions worse, but it certainly helped to get the tonnage out.

Got any pictures?

[ATTACH]216464[/ATTACH]

This is a pretty typical scenario for me- and it wasn't even raining. Admittedly a Land Rover is not the right tool for this kind of ground but even a tracked digger was a job to get across it, so I can say I don't mind working in the rain as much as I like- some jobs just can't be done and thus as Jon says once the day is lost so is a days pay even if the job is only postponed.

I was working indoors today, fitting duct work on a domestic swimming pool. When we came to leave, the van just sat there spinning its wheels! Luckily there was a 1.5 ton kubota on site I could borrow :lol:

We used to do these jobs out of a trooper or a defender, now we have the right vehicle this happens :lol:

IMG_1606.jpg.77aa132f1cb8d4921380aae3f52786ef.jpg