The importance of research and asking for help when needed

wisewood

came good mate. seems like half my pieces look wrong to me untill almost the last minute...and sometimes even then. sometimes you just got to walk away for a bit and come back to it afresh. the final piece is superb

I know what you mean Dave, very rarely am I totally happy with the carvings.

I probably would have left it a few days and calmly made some changes. it was most likely the added pressure of promising to be done by a fixed date and very little time to fix it. I was still sanding when the van came to take it away hahaha.

The recovery was proof that you can adapt your work Si, whilst the final piece is excellent, there is something in the look of the original, 'beauty is in the eye of the' ..... you know what I mean :001_rolleyes:

Excellent job Si :thumbup1:

true Ian, from a certain angle the original had a great feel to it, unfortunately from every other angle it just looked odd:laugh1:

Yeah well done Si. Your 1st pics on Facebook I was like it's good but it's not quite right. Then I saw the finished piece and was like nice he saved it. Really well done mate your absolutely right.

Bears are tough especially on large scales. You've done a really nice job.

As an artist it's important that the work comes out how you want it to be, especially hard if someone's given you a budget to work with.

I know the feeling, I'm rarely happy with the results of my carving, and usually spot where I went wrong, what I'd do better next time etc. I see the positives in others carvings but mine bug me. Also, I too will spend longer trying to get it right to my financial disadvantage, but the work reflects on you as a carver, so if I can see what's up with my piece, chances are so will others. But you have to say "done" at some point.

I've not yet attempted a bear, so I'm no expert, but from ones I've seen yours stands up pretty well against.

A great turnaround,and skill to see past what you'd already sculpted.

I kinda liked the charm/character and sheepish look of the first head, but the reworking is much better.

Excellent work again sir!

Yeah well done Si. Your 1st pics on Facebook I was like it's good but it's not quite right. Then I saw the finished piece and was like nice he saved it. Really well done mate your absolutely right.

Bears are tough especially on large scales. You've done a really nice job.

As an artist it's important that the work comes out how you want it to be, especially hard if someone's given you a budget to work with.

I know the feeling, I'm rarely happy with the results of my carving, and usually spot where I went wrong, what I'd do better next time etc. I see the positives in others carvings but mine bug me. Also, I too will spend longer trying to get it right to my financial disadvantage, but the work reflects on you as a carver, so if I can see what's up with my piece, chances are so will others. But you have to say "done" at some point.

I've not yet attempted a bear, so I'm no expert, but from ones I've seen yours stands up pretty well against.

A great turnaround,and skill to see past what you'd already sculpted.

I kinda liked the charm/character and sheepish look of the first head, but the reworking is much better.

Excellent work again sir!

Thanks guys, I agree Rick, in the early stages it did have an intriguing charm.

I'd like to recapture that on the next one somehow:thumbup1:

Thanks guys, I agree Rick, in the early stages it did have an intriguing charm.

I'd like to recapture that on the next one somehow:thumbup1:

I think the original would work really well with a cub lying on its back with all fours in the air playing with something or an adult looking down at a young cub.

Anyway look forward to your next piece mate I really need to get carving again this year haven't done one since December.