Anyone use a "safety razor"?

matelot

I use the cheapy twin blades from Tesco - but if you clean them with an old (or the wife's) toothbrush you can all the crud and soap out from between the blades I get 3 or 4 shaves out of them till they go blunt and pull the whiskers out.

Unless you are Ryan Giggs you should get a weeks worth out of a 10p 'head'

You can save even more if you dismantle it and put the blades on a greenstone wheel.

I use a Merkur 34C with Japanese Feather blades..... it's a wonderful close shave, even better when i take my time and pull the skin when i shave..... i also have a collection of open/ cut throat razors.... using these is a real experience and a very comfortable shave.... a top quality shave cream really helps along with proper beard prep.

Ian

I read if you shave with a proper cutthroat razor, it has the same effect on hormone levels as testosterone replacement therapy. Looked into it, but the cost of the real thing is pretty steep. They are precision tools after all, and you need to buy a strop and other paraphernalia as well, and they need to be sent away for re-grinding periodically.

I decided to the traditional "safety razor" would suffice. When I'm rich and have a manservant, I'll send a telegram to Solingen for a brace of proper blades.

I swapped to an old school safety razor a couple of years ago and love it. It's a Merkur and I got a selection pack of blades with it although my favourite are the Feather brand. I also got a shave brush and some really nice shave cream rather than the usual, off the shelf stuff. It takes longer but I get less cuts, ingrown hairs, razor burn etc. I do a double pass so one shave to get the heavy stuff off and then lather up again and do a second pass against the grain for a smooth finish. A good quality after shave balm to finish off with. Even against the grain I don't get razor burn.

I highly recommend a double edge safety. Takes longer obviously but it's nice to actually take the time and care to look after your face. I got told by a barber in San Francisco that I had tough weathered skin and needed to spend more time looking after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I have various exfoliates and balms, but never really know if they're any good. 'Names' mean higher prices, but probably doesn't indicate that they work any better than others.

Was pondering this this morning using Ted Baker face wash, Beckhams deodrant etc

I think I have too much time on my hands sometimes:biggrin: