Anyone use a "safety razor"?

matelot

Try shaving at night and rub olive oil in (so you don't look too greasy) after,

a lot of chemical based stuff just aggravates razor burn. If you want to be fancy put a few drops of proper sandalwood oil in and mix it

You would looked buffed up like Bob MONKHOUSE used to. Never seen such a shiny man!!!!

I use a Hydro 5 Wilkinson Sword, buy the blades in bulk on eBay and come in at under £2 per blade and can make them last around a month before they get too painful.

I use a grape based shave oil (get 250ml off ebay for under £15) which helps the razor work and prevents rash. Sainsburys shave gel is the best one in my opinion - Sainsbury's - Please enable cookies or JavaScript

It keeps the shaver from digging in, cuts back on rash and doesn't clog the razor like some plus it keeps the blades lubed up:blushing:

Got a load of Real Shaving Company moisturiser from Poundland that works well and was only.........you've guessed it:001_rolleyes::lol:

I have found the Gillette gel to be poor compared to Sainsburys with King of Shaves stuff being pretty good but more expensive.

A safety razor is miles better than the cartridge type rubbish. And work out cheaper in the long run.

A decent shave cream is well worth the money, the best i have ever had is Baume.Be, about £20 but it lasts for months, only need to used about 2 pea size amounts and the lather is unreal!

The use of a shaving brush really helps.

Yes owning and looking after a straight / cut throat razor isn't cheap... you need good ultra fine sharpening stones and strops and paste to get the edge right, sharpening is a skill in its self to learn along side shaving.

I have up to from 800 to 12,000 grit stones for edge setting and polishing, then up to 30,000 paste for stropping and final leather strop.

If any one has a cut throats that needs sharpening, please pm me, i'm happy to help.

[ATTACH]216558[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]216559[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]216560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]216561[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]216562[/ATTACH]

I also sharpen kitchen, pocket and hunting knives to a shaving razor sharp edge!

Ian

I am interested in advice for sharpening stones , for knives .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Whal dog clippers, with the No2 set, run round entire skull about every 2 months, job done.

Previously used el cheapo Bic double blade disposable razors, sometimes simply with (good) soap worked up to a lather.

If/when I take up Pipe smoking, I may go back to a straight razor.