Vimek stroke processor

timbernut

While picking up mates new truck yesterday was offered this Vimek stroke processor:

8f0d0b93ecf349004f9804a40a08e4c3.jpgc37635a275707912ef54911419ec63a6.jpg

It's been stood up for about 7yrs, was fully functional when dropped off the 3pl but he said cut off bar n chain will be knackered.

Seemed a bit dear for something that's sat for so long, I've toyed with the idea of this sort of thing before but some of these old machines look slower than motor manual felling, but could be good when winching in off boggy ground? Opinions appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Have you got the time and space to take the whole thing apart, to free up all the seized bits?

If it has been sat for seven years, it is giiwng to need some serious fettling.

If you can get it for a good price, it is probably worth going for it.

Sent from my D2303 using Arbtalk mobile app

It doesn't work until its on your tractor working! I should know as i just got a winch that isn't quite right.

Sitting idle kills kit, any electrics on that will be wet and will take forever to find the short that means nothing works as it should. That ram looks in need of a clean or it's quite scored, i cant tell from the picture. Bar and chain mount isn't insurmountable but you'd need to find out what it is and if a 'regular' harvester bar would fit.

£500 quid seems a good starting point. That's where i would be at looking at those pictures......

Thanks for replies, I did think at 500 it would be worth a punt but the guy was obviously a hoarder (3acres of machinery and sheds full of gear/tat up to the eaves) and he said he'd never sold anything in 20 years but would put together any forestry/arb equipment as he was never going back into the industry (10" chipper, trailed 70' mewp, peelers, pointer, grab/rotaters etc). I could've spent a good day poking about in the brambles![emoji849]

Thanks for replies, I did think at 500 it would be worth a punt but the guy was obviously a hoarder (3acres of machinery and sheds full of gear/tat up to the eaves) and he said he'd never sold anything in 20 years but would put together any forestry/arb equipment as he was never going back into the industry (10" chipper, trailed 70' mewp, peelers, pointer, grab/rotaters etc). I could've spent a good day poking about in the brambles![emoji849]

Offer 500 you never know. Look for faults to drive the price down PUWER compliance is always a good one.

Think I'm gonna leave it for a bit and hope he's still got it in a few months, as ive just bought a tractor and should really get that earning it's keep before I start charging into more projects. I have a feeling it's not goin anywhere for a while anyway. Thanks again

i am pretty sure thats the roller feed type. had one for a few years ( around 1989 or so)

very troublesome, hundreds of moving parts. clutches, chains, sprockets, splined shafts getting hammered the whole time. very fast and effective at taking off branches while being self-destructive to itself. measuring system was crap also.

made super job of forest , 40 metres between racks in first thinnings, but not enough tons to cover downtime and repairs. also quite dangerous by todays standards.

maybe ok for nice clean scandinavian thinnings.