Any Interest in Shingle and Featheredge Attachments

Wendelspanswick

I'm currently drawing up designs for rocking tables, one that tilts from side to side for featheredge and one that has 2 tables that rock end to end for shingles but can be extended by adding more tables according to the length of the bed so if your bed is 3m long you should get 3 lots of 2 tables, each table holding a 400mm long cant.

Both table designs will be rocked by a single lever at the end of the tracks and will be adjustable for different sized cants as well as different taper sizes.

It's all at the CAD stage at the moment but wondering whether it's worth doing a production version or just a one off for myself depending on if there is any interest?

Just to add I used to have a blacksmithing/fabrication business and I still have my workshop although it's no longer my main business.

Edited by Wendelspanswick

If you can incorporate both jobs into one device you'll find a decent market no doubt. I've built one of each, but now just run Wood Mizer's own gadget that will do both jobs.

The beds don't need to rock (rotate around the centre?), just lift at one edge.

I am just finishing off building a shingle jig of my own design.

I have had a career in engineering and also fabricate many products for clients.

Despite designing the jig on paper to a final design, once I started building it, I soon started tweaking everything and it's no longer similar to the original drawings.

My advice would be to build one each of your jigs and try them out for a while on your own mill. You will soon find problems and modifications that you want to carry out.

BTW, mine is in two parts, each 5 stations to take 400mm cants, so can be used singly or joined together. Each station is 8' length, so 16' total for 10 stations, all operated from a single lever at the operator's end.

Would be interested in seeing your design, just being curious.

I imagine there is no innovation in my design, it uses tables hinged on one edge and tilted by a cam on a shaft with adjustable stops. The cants are clamped by a sliding device like an F clamp with another cam to lock into the timber.

Just pondering whether there is a market for them from mill users without fabrication facilities.