Training for NZ

Hi all looking for yet more advice. We (myself and family) are planing to emigrate to New Zealand next year with any luck. I'm looking for advice on with training as I have a grant to use before we leave. I'm already a competent arborist (or I like to think so) with all my climbing, rigging, felling, formal educational qualification to level three and tree inspection and assessment qualification.

The question is this how can I best use the grant I have to make me more employable and better asset to a New Zealand based company? I was thinking along the lines or some thing like emergency tree works and wind blow trees ticket, mini digger ticket or tractor tickets? I can't use it to get my HGV unluckily.

I would love to do my level 4 Arb tech but would not have time to complete before we move so will have to wait.

Im sure there are other courses or quals I could have over looked thats why I'm asking the greater community for any help and to see if there any thing that is really in demand out there?

Cheers for all the help Dave

If you're a competent climber you should be able to get a job with what you have already. We're crying out for good arborists over here. Digger tickets (tracks and wheels) might be worth a go and also an EPV (MEWP) ticket if you can get it.

Have a look at the jobs section on http://www.trademe.co.nz under arborist and you should get an idea of what employers are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Most learning in NZ is done on the job although some go through Waikato Poly. It sounds like you have more than enough to get a job here and pretty quickly. Honestly, we can't fill the vacancies fast enough from what I understand.

My only advice would be to get out of Auckland and find somewhere way cheaper to live.

We're currently advertising a position at Taupo District Council. We had 2 decent applicants and we may possibly go back out again if they don't prove to be a good fit. There was similar in Rotorua where no one applied.

Edited by Taupotreeman

That's good to now we're not wanting to move to Auckland so that cool we're not total sure yet but thinking some where around the Bay or Plenty, Gisbrone, Rotorua and Hawkes bay sort area. That's good to now because as soon as my wife and kids passport are back I going to start actively applying for jobs and contacting company's. Thanks for the help again

Bay of Plenty i.e. Tauranga and surrounds, would be a nice place to be as would Hawkes Bay if you were based in Napier. Depends what kind of social life you have. I'd advise against Gisborne as it's pretty isolated and neither am I a great fan of Rotorua but it's a personal choice.

Social life is pretty limited as it stands as have three young daughters in less you count kids party's then quite busy. Just looking for some sort of balance between good schools, local amenity and affordability really were from a more rural area in the u.k but from my understand in less your in Auckland or the bigger citys all the towns are quite a nice size. One of the bigger draws in the outdoor space for my family but in New Zealand don't really think that's going to be a problem. I herd that Rotorua smelly of eggs!?

Greenscene is an excellent company to work for, they are based in Napier, Hawkes bay. They are always after good climbers and don't just do small back yard trees as they get work through Hawkes bay district council - big tree work! They have great kit and are a great set of guys always have a beer at the end of the day.

I worked for them for 6 months when I was in NZ and would happily go back at some point. Napier is a nice little town. Good luck.

Ha funny enough I seen this jobs already looks just what I'm looking for Was tempted to contact them before the wife and girls passport came back but don't want to mess anyone around before we can start the visa application. I've looked a fair bit at Napier seem lovely but then to be fair every where does! Thank for all your help again it's really does help a lot