woodmizer wm3500/4000?

Graham w

Hi guys, I really need to upgrade my rackmill and was recommended a WM4000. I have doubts on running a mill with a narrow blade but thats because we hired someone many years ago with a portable woodmizer to mill wood with ?blunt blades.

Its main use would be cutting cladding, framing and beams mainly from softwood. I also have no experience with a horizontal mill

can anyone give their opinion on the day to day running of a wm4000 or equivalent mill and any other heavy duty mill.

many thanks Graham

My friend has a rack mill, bandsaw, not circular, and we both have modern portable horizontal bandsaw mills.

I can say that the modern machines outperform the old stuff in so many ways. They are easier to setup, run, maintain etc. The old stuff is great fun but not if you want to use it seriously.

We both run the modern mills several times a week, but the old Danckaert only gets used once a year.

Can't say anything about the WM4000 specifically, but any machine with a blunt blade will do a rubbish job, so don't be put off by your earlier experiences.

Once you have a day or so on a modern horizontal mill, you'll wonder why you didn't buy one years ago.

My friend has a rack mill, bandsaw, not circular, and we both have modern portable horizontal bandsaw mills.

I can say that the modern machines outperform the old stuff in so many ways. They are easier to setup, run, maintain etc. The old stuff is great fun but not if you want to use it seriously.

We both run the modern mills several times a week, but the old Danckaert only gets used once a year.

Can't say anything about the WM4000 specifically, but any machine with a blunt blade will do a rubbish job, so don't be put off by your earlier experiences.

Once you have a day or so on a modern horizontal mill, you'll wonder why you didn't buy one years ago.

exactly my thoughts.

The mill that im after has to replace three rack mills without the down time. Ideally i would like the best mill that covers accuracy above all, production and ease of use.

After a short conversation to WM usa there was a hint that the wm4000 would be touching its limits and additionally i should buy a WM1000 for the really ugly logs. The problem is that the WM1000 is not orientated around production work and thats two machines

Horizontal mills are excellent, but if given the option, go for a wide blade. Consistent, trouble free performance.

that rules out the wm range, i have been spoilt with wide bands but they have their downsides too, heavy too handle, expensive to sharpen, expensive to buy, clumsy to store, and they can wander a full 25mm if they want too

what is your opinion of the trac-met i remember you mentioned substandard hydraulics?

that rules out the wm range, i have been spoilt with wide bands but they have their downsides too, heavy too handle, expensive to sharpen, expensive to buy, clumsy to store, and they can wander a full 25mm if they want too

what is your opinion of the trac-met i remember you mentioned substandard hydraulics?

The mills are well made, but with the exchange rate having severely deteriorated (from our perspective importing machinery) and them having increased their prices, they aren't quite as cheap as they once were. The hydraulics are fine to be honest - they just struggle with very large logs (2.5t plus).

I didn't realise that a wide blade could wander so far. It's the number one pain in the ass with narrow blades. Get the blade set up spot on and it's fine, but they can wander easily, especially on wide cuts.

Speak to Loglogic about the Autotrek, get it made as a static mill, 6.5m cut length as standard, boards up to 1m wide, fully hydraulic,

My 64hp turbo diesel engine uses about 16lts of fuel /day,

4" wide blade, costs £85 for swaged, £135 for stellite tipped, sharpening costs me approx. £12 ea time. 1x blade to cut 100ft3 timber

not cheap but does the job, great back up from supplier, been around long enough to have ironed out issues, you will struggle to find one 2nd hand, as most owners are happy with the product as opposed to some other manufacturers products which seem to crop up all the time........

And if it goes "T*t* Up" plenty of residual value because of rarity value.

Tim

There is at least 1 machine running in Scotland doing just what you want to do....

Autotrek (Wide-band saw)

Graham Mitchell [email protected]

Hi Graham,

if you have concerns over narrow band, have you considered the Wood-Mizer Wide band WB2000?

if you would like to discuss further please call me on 01622 813201.

Thank you, I will try and call tomorrow however if you can find any information on the WM4250 it would be much appreciated as im still waiting for a reply from WM...