Security measures thread

Starscream

Is having good security and insurance cheaper than the taxation cost of a decent police force??

I don't know??

We are a rich country, having all your gear stollen is horrendous, but in reality it is still a first world problem. We will not starve. Our children will not die.

Until we decide we want to pay FAR more in tax and get the benefits that that would provide we will always have struggling public services, its a result of the age of the individual, where the right of a transgender person getting a sex change op takes precedence over care for the elderly or a decent police force.

Who knows were it will all end???:001_huh::confused1::confused1:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a chipper nicked off site a few years ago - realised it had gone within half an hour maximum of it being taken. The lads on site phoned the police and reported it stolen and I jumped in the car and shot across from another job. About 2 miles from where it was taken (on a major trunk road) there was a police car stopped - I spoke to the officers who were unaware of the theft, even though it had been reported as having just been stolen 15 mins before. We were apparently in another force's area (North Wales as opposed to Cheshire, where the theft had taken place) and the 2 forces don't talk to each other. Total ineptitude, the thieves have got free reign from what I can see.

Is having good security and insurance cheaper than the taxation cost of a decent police force??

I don't know??

We are a rich country, having all your gear stollen is horrendous, but in reality it is still a first world problem. We will not starve. Our children will not die.

Until we decide we want to pay FAR more in tax and get the benefits that that would provide we will always have struggling public services, its a result of the age of the individual, where the right of a transgender person getting a sex change op takes precedence over care for the elderly or a decent police force.

Who knows were it will all end???:001_huh::confused1::confused1:

I agree with what you say Huck and also do not know the answer to your opening statement.

I am convinced our crimes involving theft from our yard is linked to others in the area and is part of a larger ring/problem and the lack of unified policing means this ring of highly organised individuals are not getting looked into.

I am frustrated but also annoyed at ourselves, our recent site theft of the Avant in which we got a full pay out from the insurance company was essentially down to us not taking enough car and getting complacent (we should of added more deterrents and not left the machine on site overnight)

Our yard thefts are also following a similar theme, I am not the owner of Heritage I just help manage the company but find it frustrating we do not invest in better security, but this security is expensive I has been looking at site safes suitable to store our handheld tools in which are the most vulnerable and am I am looking at between 10-25k for something I would feel confident would stop them, we have alarms and cctv but these are worthless.

Trying to convince the MD that an outlay of 10k+ is worth it is hard the reality is we probably spend around £500-£1000 on locks and bars which are easily defeated.

Although when you consider the recent break in cost us £8.5k in new saws and 1.5k in repairs to the ram raided building and tool storage for me spending £10k plus on a secure site safe is worth it.

But I then have the concern they will still break into that having heard of one of the local tree services watching the cctv of their constainer being cut into and cleaned out in a 4 hour break in, these guys have the time and means to do anything to get our equipment.

Has anyone come across any small tracking device that could be installed inside a saw or similar? I was chatting to a bloke yesterday that reckoned he had his saw nicked and recovered by such means. The best bit here would be the chance of prosecution as well?

I've been looking at some of the vehicle type ones on the market that would be suited to chippers/grinders etc..

SPECIAL GROUP PRICE - Back2You

Might even reduce the crime rate if we could catch a few of the 'regulars' or at least make them think there's a chance of getting caught!

SG

To answer a few questions:

Stolen property will be registered on the local forces system which is searchable. Some forces do use the same systems- Surrey Sussex and Hampshire do which is great

Having sites like this is good. There is also another public national web site called http://www.immobilise.com where anything with a serial number can be added. You can even add photos. The police and places like cash converters then use a linked site that only they can use. I try and promote this where ever I can.

The busted door- yes they should have probably come out and looked for prints inside the vehicle. However it depends on surfaces. Unfortunately it's not like CSI on the TV though. I wish it was.

CCTV is generally useless especially at night but if it's there I will view it because there is always a chance.

When you refer to "hobby bobbies"- a little unkind. If you mean PCSOs that is what I do. I don't want to be a police officer. It isn't a "hobby!!"

With the gear that was recovered last year I instigated the warrant due to the knowledge and the criminals I had in the area I cover, i logged all the property, I did the work in trying to locate the serial numbers of the property, I sat for hours searching all the systems trying to find the owners, i contacted the manufacturers/retailers, I called people who had reported a crime and had property stolen and all they could tell me was "it was an orange chain saw", I contacted the moderators on here to get the spreadsheets of recovered items added as a post, I put it out on social media and had 84,000 see it with everyone from Brighton to Bolton saying I think you have got my chain saw and trying to reply to the 100s of messages coming in. The only bit I didn't do was arrest him.

Yes it's my job and I wanted this thief charged with as many thefts as possible

Yes the law is an ass and it is very frustrating but there are lots of us out there that work our socks off with what we have. It's not ideal. I often throw my toys out the pram on a daily basis due to the frustrations!

I will be leaving this forum. It's bad enough getting a grilling at work but in your own time.. and I don't even own a chainsaw!!

If we recover anymore property however I will get the moderators to put a post up.