Spark plug overtightened Husqvarna 450e

brynarw

My 450e saw has problem with the spark plug vibrating loose during use. It really won't stay in place for more than a few seconds of cutting. I've discovered that the thread in the pot is damaged, I guess from over tightening or cross threading the spark plug.

Taken it to my local Husky dealer who advises me it's an uneconomic repair. He says only solution he can recommend is a new pot and he showed me the price of a Husky replacement and said it wasn't worth spending the money.

Do others agree? Any other advice?

Thanks

My 450e saw has problem with the spark plug vibrating loose during use. It really won't stay in place for more than a few seconds of cutting. I've discovered that the thread in the pot is damaged, I guess from over tightening or cross threading the spark plug.

Taken it to my local Husky dealer who advises me it's an uneconomic repair. He says only solution he can recommend is a new pot and he showed me the price of a Husky replacement and said it wasn't worth spending the money.

Thanks

It can be helicoiled or an insert used, done many, have all the kit necessary. Needs to be done well but it is much cheaper than using a new pot!!

It can be helicoiled or an insert used, done many, have all the kit necessary. Needs to be done well but it is much cheaper than using a new pot!!

Totally agree that it needs to be done well.

I normally take knackered thread stuff to the engineering co. next door for the retapping part. It's too easy to ruin the cylinder if you don't line the tap up right.

Thanks

that dealer sounds a bit limited in their abilities.

that dealer sounds a bit limited in their abilities.

Many are. Hire companies and the like offering repair services when they have no proper manufacturer (type) training or experience. Every nut and bolt needs to be 'ordered in', with no normal consumable parts on the shelf.

I needed a chain urgently, local 'dealer' couldn't help as the bloke who made them was on holiday. I asked if they could cut the number of DL's and I'd make it up myself back in our workshop - Didn't know how to split a roll of chain and couldn't/wouldn't let me do it:sneaky2: Useless, wouldn't buy a spark plug off of them now :thumbdown:

Many are. Hire companies and the like offering repair services when they have no proper manufacturer (type) training or experience. Every nut and bolt needs to be 'ordered in', with no normal consumable parts on the shelf.

I needed a chain urgently, local 'dealer' couldn't help as the bloke who made them was on holiday. I asked if they could cut the number of DL's and I'd make it up myself back in our workshop - Didn't know how to split a roll of chain and couldn't/wouldn't let me do it:sneaky2: Useless, wouldn't buy a spark plug off of them now :thumbdown:

I think they said it needs a new pot coz its easier for them and they get more money . I know , I know I'm cynical ........

Thanks for all your replies. Very pleased to hear that it doesn't need new pot or that the saw is a write-off.

I'm near Wetherby/York. Anyone know someone good around here to do this work? Otherwise, will send to Spud who has messaged me with quote and more info.

Cheers

Sam