Rats!!!!!

Logged On

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once made the mistake of blasting one inside our stone turkey house of about 12'x8'. Got the little bugger, but the stone shrapnel spattered across the face hurt like hell, and it was 3 days before the hearing returned back to normal.

I now use a live capture trap and call the cat , who comes legging across the yard when she knows the cage is going to be opened.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

Couple of years back we got quickly over run with them they chewed a hole in the hen shed hatch so I got a piece of 4inch sewer pipe taped some wire to one end which formed a funnel that they could only go one way then I taped 2 or three poly prop bags on the end. I used to creep up put the trap over the hole then switched the light on.

There would be so many go in then the rest would hide were they could in the shed. So I went in with a piece of threaded bar sharpened on the end with a couple of nuts on for added just to be sure.

I managed to kill 65 rats over a period of around 4 weeks became a bit of an obsession must have been my lust for blood .

I have fen traps set in a chamber built of dry bedded bricks with just a half a brick gap at either side with a concrete paver on top usually keeps them in check and no risk to wildlife or my poultry.

I have a gentlemans agreement with a farmer and my part of it is to control rats around the grain stores. I have seldom known such a bad year for rats, as fast as I clear 1 lot up, another large gang move in, so I have had to maintain a constant battle to kept them in check.

And they're getting bigger, I shovelled one up the other day about the size of a small jack Russell.

Got chickens in a run in the garden here too, so I too have to be careful when using poison...

As for using a .410....? Are they legal in a residential area anyway? (And mine's not moderated).

Our garden is not huge, it goes to a point at the top too, (think the inside of a semi circle for each garden / cheese wedge shape). So close shooting would be VERY risky...

.22 AA S200 here with mod, mag kit and Yukon Photon. It's not even fair on the poor buggers.

Also just got a Cometa Fenix 400S from Mole Valley for about £200 as I just fancied a cheap springer again. Very well made gun and well capable of ratting. Cheap scope and DIY NV would work well.