Fungi on horse chestnut

jacquemontii

Very frequently observed on horse chestnut is this fungus.

Note its proper name is now Cerioporus squamosus, as of last year. :)

Thanks. I was using Lonsdale as a guide to common hosts (no mention of H.chestnut in there), but now Ive got home and checked all my other guides, of course they all mention chestnut as a host!

I had no idea about it changing name though...where do you check this? Must admit we were referring to it as Polyporus in a recent assignment.

Fungi names change a fair bit. For example, Piptoporus betulinus is now Fomitopsis betulina, meaning the genus Piptoporus is now redundant (after Piptoporus quercinus was removed some years prior, when it became Buglossoporus quercinus).

Best bet is to type in a species name here and then it'll show you the most updated name. It's updated a lot, so is rather spot on.