Stihl 201t no spark

Magooligan

Morning all. I may well know the answer to this but here goes...

Yesterday, arrived on site, got out the spare 201t as it is like new (2014 original bar and chain) and thought I'd give it a run...had done the same a couple of weeks earlier. Fuelled it, started it before ascending. Groundman sent the saw up.

Choke on, fired it up, knocked of the choke, let it tick over for a few seconds and blipped the throttle. It popped and spluttered and stopped. I thought as it was -1 degrees give it a chance. Pulled it into life again....same thing only it ran for less time....similar for 2 or 3 other attempts until it wouldn't fire at all! Sent it back down and used the old faithful 200t. Got it onto the bench....no spark....new plug...no spark.

Any common faults that you guys know about....including operator error!!?

Morning all. I may well know the answer to this but here goes...

Yesterday, arrived on site, got out the spare 201t as it is like new (2014 original bar and chain) and thought I'd give it a run...had done the same a couple of weeks earlier. Fuelled it, started it before ascending. Groundman sent the saw up.

Choke on, fired it up, knocked of the choke, let it tick over for a few seconds and blipped the throttle. It popped and spluttered and stopped. I thought as it was -1 degrees give it a chance. Pulled it into life again....same thing only it ran for less time....similar for 2 or 3 other attempts until it wouldn't fire at all! Sent it back down and used the old faithful 200t. Got it onto the bench....no spark....new plug...no spark.

Any common faults that you guys know about....including operator error!!?

Check the flywheel to coil gap, try disconnecting the kill wire from the coil, check the HT lead continuity. Very generally, coils seem pretty reliable and in my experience, either work or fail.....with exception of one MS361 that would only rev to 7500rpm and no more......strange that one!