Lock up full of tools not being used.....after honest opinions!

stewie

See this in my dilemma :sneaky2: why can't there just be one definitive answer on storing tools lol just Google local aspen dealers I can go and get some aspen from the shop at 8.30 and spend the day filling them up with it but then two people say don't use it :confused1:

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer , and this may be prohibitive cost wise , but I changed all the rubber components on all my saws before I switched over to Aspen . Aspen has a long shelf life , 5 years I believe , were as with pump fuel mix I would not use it after 3-4 weeks . The ethanol and other components in pump fuel will start to degrade the rubber and attract water . Aspen does not do that .

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would keep the tools , provided you can make them secure as possible ( and insure them ) . Fill them with Aspen . It would cost you more to replace them than you would get for them if you sold them .

Why put fuel that costs £3/litre in them? Better off draining the fuel, clean the tanks our, changing filters etc, and leaving them empty. Then when you or someone else uses them next, fresh fuel, ready to roll.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

. You'll never get any where near your money back ..... even second hand stihl on I'd going for silly money.

Sent from my XT1580 using Arbtalk mobile app

Make you mind up- if they go for "silly money" second hand why won't he get his money back?

The price of small plant is based on condition.. So assuming they are in a similar condition as to when he brought it it should sell for a similar price... and assuming he is willing to purchase used kit in a similar condition it should be a similar price in a few years if he needed to buy again.

That's the theory, there is no point keeping anything easily available if your not going to use for more that 6 months as you can just buy it when you need it.. I however hoard everything...

Make you mind up- if they go for "silly money" second hand why won't he get his money back?

The price of small plant is based on condition.. So assuming they are in a similar condition as to when he brought it it should sell for a similar price... and assuming he is willing to purchase used kit in a similar condition it should be a similar price in a few years if he needed to buy again.

That's the theory, there is no point keeping anything easily available if your not going to use for more that 6 months as you can just buy it when you need it.. I however hoard everything...

The OP has said that he bought the tools second hand to begin with, so chances are that they are not in A1 condition and are older tools. Hence he's probably not going to get any thing near enough back to buy quality tools in the future. Usually the stuff bringing good money on eBay is fairly new and in good condition, usually. Hope that clarifies what I meant.

Sent from my XT1580 using Arbtalk mobile app

How much would you realistically get for the tools?

If you know they are good reliable machines - would the money you get REALLY give you the option to buy back similar for the same price?

If your new income would give you a bit of a financial cushion then no worries.

How likely are you to want to return to the 'old ways'.

If you really think couriering is the way forward then why hold on to the tools?

If in doubt, and you don't need the money then keep them.

I must say I agree with Huck - If you think up to £1k a week gross is good going then you should be looking elsewhere, or change your arb strategy.

Whatever you decide - good luck with it.

PS Ignore any PMs offering you a 'fair' price for your stuff.

I would personally keep it, but I'm a hoarder.

Cheers all some good replies! Hoarding is definitely an issue with me as well lol its the feeling of "if I sell it I'll know I'll need it" that gets me! Like Shane says above at most for the lot I'd be lucky to get 2k but I know they have all been well looked after and serviced (since ive owned them!) I went down the lock up earlier, fired them all up and everything apart from my hl-75's ran perfect. I took them up to my mate to see what's up and he basically said if you ain't using them sell them cause it's an expensive thing to have sat doing nothing!

On the 1k a week it was just an example and tbh I only worked with myself and two other lads so not the biggest company ever but even having them on £70 a day adds up and you do worry about them letting them down if work drys up! Also it was only smaller trees and hedges, strimming etc more than massive takedown's lol I worked in Sweden and over here for "proper" arb company's and have seen the money that can be made with the right contracts etc but that's a whole different level to me! Also (this won't go down well on here lol) the price of scrap metal falling down never helped me! Running a business and a truck was much easier when I could do the odd few jobs for my mate who owns his own scrap yard and make a few extra quid but now he has to fetch it himself as its not worth paying anyone! It was a handy side line as was reclaimed materials but even that don't seem to come across as much now!

Sorry for rambling on anyway, I'm in the pub with my old man for few beers and a mixed grill lol thanks all for replying :thumbup1: