Skip chain stupidity??

TheHungrySquirrel

I run 3/8'' 0.58 full skip chain on my 372xp with a 20'' and 24'' bar, imo running full skip on anything smaller than a 70cc saw is counter productive as one doesn't get the full benefit of the chain plus the extra vibe on say a 560 would make the saw very skittish in the cut. Faster cutting and faster to sharpen are the main benefits plus they are lovely for big crosscuts and felling large stuff. Down side of them in my experience would be that they tend to tear rather than cut when limbing and you have to pay attention when boring as you cannot get away with a sharp angle of attack like you would with a full comp chain.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct , as Stubby says they are different, i have a 562 from the US and they have the D009 mount and come with 3/8 sprocket and Different brake/ clutch cover from the 560 over here , K095 small mount bars so difficult to get a long enough bar for 3/8 chains

IMG_6180.jpg.db3eee2c82cdd12fb8bcbe69ff0d18fc.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg.b81aa0adcd02fb7bba2163061e145bd3.jpg

Edited by huskywilson

hmm hadnt thought of an outside dog, looks nice on my 395 too :-) i have been thinking about/lookng for a 3/4 wrap as that keeps the vibration down compared to full wrap but not sure if thats correct , i have a 28 sugi on my 385 xp ,562 will handle it it will pull it but i dont want to kill the 562 :-(

Edited by huskywilson

I do have , somewhere a set of " over sized " dawgs , inner and outer , brand new for a 562 . ( thats how I know they wont fit a 560 ) if you are interested . ( cost me £28 + £19 postage from USA ) Make me an offer .

Edited by Stubby

I run full skip on my 372 and 3120 but it's not available for the 560 in 325"

The other day I knocked a few teeth off a nearly new chain, can I remove every other tooth so it's balanced and create a skip chain?

Or is it too late in the day for creativity?

A real semi-skip or full-skip chain cannot be made from a full-complement chain, as the L/R cutters are moved along the chain links for balance and smoothness.

Look here for explanation and illustration: Chain Sequence Explained

If necessary, you COULD simulate a skip chain by removing cutters, but it will cut rougher and create more vibrations than a real semi/full-skip chain.

If you imagine that line 1. below is a full complement chain, you can make an approximation of a semi skip chain (2.), by removing every third cutter. You can also make an approximation of a full skip chain (3.) by removing two consecutive cutters, and leaving the next two:

1. L,R,L,R,L,R ...
  2. L,R,_,R,L,_ ...
  3. L,R,_,_,L,R ...

If you compare the space occupied by the missing cutters, it is FAR longer than on a real semi/full-skip chain, where the missing cutters are spread out along the chain links. Therefore the manually produced skip chains will cause a lot more vibration and be more prone to kickbacks.

Edited by morten