Insurance

Gelster

I have a small piece of woodland (approx 8 acres) which has been in the family since the 1930s (from when a local estate was broken up).

We've never really done anything with the land but I'm now trying to push back the advancing tide of rhododendron and keep a few mates supplied with firewood.

As the land borders a main road on one edge and houses on another, I'm becoming slightly concerned about liability in the event of any trees falling and causing damage. There doesn't seem to be much access to the land by members of the public, but presumably that could also carry a small risk if they were injured while trespassing.

Are there any insurance companies that offer policies for this sort of thing at a reasonable cost?

Or is it normal just to save the expense and hope for the best?

How many trees / branches have fallen and caused harm / damage since 1930 ?? I know nowadays people are more likely to try and sue but such cases are rare , also if you can prove that you actually manage your woods in a safe condition, have the trees periodically surveyed by a competent person , and deal with potential problems ( eg do not leave dead trees standing for years ) then you can not be proven negligent ... this will also be conditions of your policy , as to tresspassers coming to harm , only if you leave unguarded deep excavations , or tall unstable stacks of wood ( without "keep off " signs ) for example , are you likely to be sued ....

The National Tree Safety Group published a Commonsense Advice for Landowners booklet which has good advice for what you need to do to be a 'Responsible Land owner' as regards to Trees, it isn't too lenghty. Before you speak to insurance companies/brokers it might well be worth reading.

Here's a link to the document:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/safetreemanagement

all the best.

JFC.

Thanks all

These people offer policies for small woodland owners: Public Liability Insurance Cover for woodland owners

We've added our woodland onto our home insurance policy for a smaller premium, so it might be worth asking yours. Not many companies will do it though, we use NFU.

Not an option with my home insurance unfortunately. That policy looks competitive, although only starts annually in July.

How many trees / branches have fallen and caused harm / damage since 1930 ?? I know nowadays people are more likely to try and sue but such cases are rare , also if you can prove that you actually manage your woods in a safe condition, have the trees periodically surveyed by a competent person , and deal with potential problems ( eg do not leave dead trees standing for years ) then you can not be proven negligent ... this will also be conditions of your policy , as to tresspassers coming to harm , only if you leave unguarded deep excavations , or tall unstable stacks of wood ( without "keep off " signs ) for example , are you likely to be sued ....

Fair points - no injuries/claims I know of, but I'm more concerned about damage to the neighbouring properties to be honest and having the peace of mind. The local council's Tree Officer is an old mate so I'm going to get him to do an assessment and give me an idea of what I need to look out for, maybe draw up a plan for me to follow.

The National Tree Safety Group published a Commonsense Advice for Landowners booklet which has good advice for what you need to do to be a 'Responsible Land owner' as regards to Trees, it isn't too lenghty. Before you speak to insurance companies/brokers it might well be worth reading.

Here's a link to the document:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/safetreemanagement

all the best.

JFC.

Thanks, that's a useful read.

The Small Woodlands Association used to do a block cover for its members, was quite reasonable from memory

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Can't see any insurance with them on their website but will dig a little deeper.