Cut and climb jacket opinions

Sawted

No experience of CandC either, I wouldn't spend £150 on a jacket that has the potential to be ripped to shreds in seconds, however from the various jackets I have tried I have found the proper military 'goretex' to be the toughest and generally pretty good in horizontal Dartmoor rain.

I also have a non breathable waterproof jacket which I believe is designed for dairy farmers in milking parlours- it great being pullover design with no Zips/hoods or anything else to get hung up on stuff.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Andy (Treequip) summed it up last year.

If you're working you're sweating (or you should be).

If it's pissing down and you're working you will get wet, from the inside or the out.

Waterproof and breathable is great, but nothing can do it at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Karibu is waterproof and breathable Mark!

Nothing man made can replicate it.

Watched Ray Mears the other night :)

I've worn a Swazi jacket for 12 years, best waterproof jacket I've ever had.

I honestly don't see why most people don't use a simple "wash and proof" every few months. Keeps your jacket clean, breathable and makes the water bead up. Costs less than £20 a year. I have the same opinion on our work boots. Just give them a bit of a clean and chuck some dubbin on quarterly. There's a weird mental block with tree surgeons and a bit of tlc with stuff. Then we rant on forums that things don't last or don't do their jobs properly. I paid about 40 quid for a waterproof jacket from some outdoors shop, reproof it every 3-4 months and it keeps me dry in 95 percent of weather (there's always going to be a limit). Another tip, if it's forecast horrendous weather, take a spare tshirt, always nice throwing that on at lunch ☺. #endofmywaffling

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I have no problem spending £150 on a jacket. Live and working on the pennines it is always raining so whilst I admit I rotate between two jackets one for spruce and pine and one for normal tree work I think spending £150 every year or two for some thing you virtually live in is no biggie.. the cut and climb is tough and won't get torn to shreds in minutes, keeps you dry and isn't to sweaty in most conditions and I've tried every jacket going from the Harkie ,sips, pfanner ,stein ,cheap cycle jackets that get torn to shreds in minutes... the new sipps is good , plenty of reviews of that as well.

Wool,, keeps you warm if its wet....

Idea, a good thick woollen jumper thats gonna keep you warm.. take two crappy jackets of choice to work...

One for windy days, keep out the wind... one for rainy days to keep you dry for an extra half hr...

I honestly don't see why most people don't use a simple "wash and proof" every few months. Keeps your jacket clean, breathable and makes the water bead up. Costs less than £20 a year. I have the same opinion on our work boots. Just give them a bit of a clean and chuck some dubbin on quarterly. There's a weird mental block with tree surgeons and a bit of tlc with stuff. Then we rant on forums that things don't last or don't do their jobs properly. I paid about 40 quid for a waterproof jacket from some outdoors shop, reproof it every 3-4 months and it keeps me dry in 95 percent of weather (there's always going to be a limit). Another tip, if it's forecast horrendous weather, take a spare tshirt, always nice throwing that on at lunch ☺. #endofmywaffling

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Good waffling :001_smile:

Or, as in my case get a cut and climb. Not do anything with it forever 2 years and it still keeps me dry.

Think how much Nikwax and 20 quid kaggies I would have spent in all that time.

I think with the CnC the difference is in the after care. Don't ever wash in over 30 regs as it melts the waterproof out of the weave. Then you be dryer wearing a string vest.