Looking for a winch

Hi all,

In the market for a mechanical winch, mainly going to be used to pull over trees, with the odd few small stumps pulled out. Was looking for something 1600kg+ rated capacity but the Tirfor winches are a little too expensive for the moment.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any decent alternatives, not a fan of second hand as I like knowing that the equipment hasn't been pushed to the limit in the past, plus if it does fall to pieces at least I have more chance of getting my money back.

I will probably invest in a high quality winch further down the line but as I mainly do domestic stuff I am in no need of one just yet.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks people.

P.s I put it in forestry as I figured thats where most winch questions pop up :001_smile:

i have a tirfor, had it 12 years, oil it occasionally, can't remember its waiting, very simple, never had a problem, so reckon 2nd hand would b okay. use it for same purpose as you, but its heavy and plus the cable, makes it a pain to drag around. prob has been finding something to hook it up to thats substantial enough.

IMO if your not going to have to carry it around too far by hand consider getting a large one even if its second hand, I've got an old tu35 3500kg tirfor, yes it's a ball ache carrying it around but whatever the job it gets it done

I was lucky enough to be given mine by a friend but have seen them sell on eBay for little over £100

It's been given some real stick and after living with it a few years there's been many-many times I've praised it for getting me out of a muddle that a smaller winch couldn't and that I wouldn't have considered or planned for should I have been looking to buy one.

One thought, if you need more than 1,600kg pull from time time, then a pulley can be used. The big tirfor is a lot heavier than the 1,600g tirfor and the big tirfor cable is much heavier as well. I picked up both sizes at an auction for £20 each, I sure was lucky that day. I bought an extension cable for the 1,600kg one so that I can either double the length of pull or double the pull with a pulley, quite a flexible solution. Make sure that the strops and shackles are strong enough...