Emails been hacked!

Gary Prentice

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another unwanted software has installed itself on my 'puter.

It's a search engine called Tom's guide.

May be one of the reasons for the recent slow performance when starting up.

On Windows 10, need to find how to get rid of it.

Ty

Think there's something on mine, I can't go online without logging onto arbtalk, even when I'm meant to be doing something work related.:biggrin:

Probably a good thing:biggrin:

Couple of people have said that they tried to open the attachment ( which led to a Dropbox) but couldn't. Guess it's a good thing the hacker seems to made some Mistake or who knows what would have happened!

The link might look like it goes to Dropbox but is actually downloading something to the recipient's computer. If it's an unsolicited mail and it contains a link or an attachment it goes in the bin without clicking on any live link or run it through your virus checker.

Ty

Take a look at MalwareBytes

It can be used alongside your existing antivirus package

Ive recommended Sophos Home as a good solid security AV & web control etc for a few years now, simple & effective & its not in your face as some of these things are - there was a time when the word 'Home' meant crap, but not with Sophos.

Think there is a version for iOS as well as PC & Mac.

N

Ty

I had this once - saved stuff I wanted to an external drive then formatted the computer disk and did a fresh install of windows and other software, acrobat, firefox, office etc.

Once windows and other programs installed again from scratch, backed the whole disk up I used Acronis Disk Director and Acronis True Image, but several vendors software does similar.

Now if it looks like malware has got in I just recover from a recovery partition on my computer, using Acronis True Image to both create the initial back up and then restore from it. Takes a while to reinstall your whole PC, but once its done and backed up you have a ready made mirror image of your software, free from viruses, to recover from

I had this once - saved stuff I wanted to an external drive then formatted the computer disk and did a fresh install of windows and other software, acrobat, firefox, office etc.

Once windows and other programs installed again from scratch, backed the whole disk up I used Acronis Disk Director and Acronis True Image, but several vendors software does similar.

Now if it looks like malware has got in I just recover from a recovery partition on my computer, using Acronis True Image to both create the initial back up and then restore from it. Takes a while to reinstall your whole PC, but once its done and backed up you have a ready made mirror image of your software, free from viruses, to recover from

On windows 10 type system restore in your search bar bottom left and select create a restore point. System properties will open in a box and you can click on the system restore button. It will show the recommended restore but you can click on choose a different restore point and go to an earlier one when you know your computer was running properly. You don't need to do a complete install.

I would recommend using Google 2-step Verification for your account: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

It means that every time you log in to your account from a new computer, you have to prove that it's you doing the login, by providing an additional factor such as:

- SMS verification code

- Google app confirmation prompt on a smartphone

- Authenticator app (from google) on a smartphone, entering a 6-digit code

- USB security key

- A key code card

The idea behind two-factor authentication, as it is called in the security world, is that to gain access to a service (e.g. e-mail), you have to provide several pieces of information:

- Something you know: the password

- Something you have: e.g. a smartphone

Two-factor authentication cannot be hacked, unless someone gains access to your password AS WELL AS access to your smartphone (or classic phone using SMS).

Hope this helps

I would recommend using Google 2-step Verification for your account: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

It means that every time you log in to your account from a new computer, you have to prove that it's you doing the login, by providing an additional factor such as:

- SMS verification code

- Google app confirmation prompt on a smartphone

- Authenticator app (from google) on a smartphone, entering a 6-digit code

- USB security key

- A key code card

The idea behind two-factor authentication, as it is called in the security world, is that to gain access to a service (e.g. e-mail), you have to provide several pieces of information:

- Something you know: the password

- Something you have: e.g. a smartphone

Two-factor authentication cannot be hacked, unless someone gains access to your password AS WELL AS access to your smartphone (or classic phone using SMS).

Hope this helps

Done it, but what a faff. It isn't that straightforward when the account is a [email protected]. Had to go into admin privileges, authorise it and then back to the two step page. Then lost the wire-fi at home in the middle of it all.

Only took ninety minutes to set up.

To do this at work will involve four separate user accounts and phones, then working out who in the office is actually the administrator:blushing:

Better set a day aside:biggrin: