Corsa quandary.

Saw-sick Steve

I'd think down the line, based on what you tend to do with cars and whether this one suits.

We tend to run cars right into the ground. My wife and I have only ever sold one vehicle between us. We tend to find things we like and then look after them and know how they have been treated so buying a nominal 'like for like' wouldn't have the history with it. I currently have an '03 plate Volvo V70 with 215k on the clock. I have had 6yrs and it went through its MOT today with nothing more than a couple of bulbs and a pair of windscreen wipers. However, in the last year I probably spent its value on major work (steering rack joints, intercooler, injectors, aux pump etc). But, if I had a newer car I would be losing money on depreciation, and actually I like my car - it's big, comfortable (heated leather seats :thumbup:), tows a decent sized plant trailer and has good fuel economy so it's everything I need and the service back-up from the Volvo dealer is exemplary and not too expensive. The key point is that there isn't anything I would rather have, so why change until I have to?

However, if you are the type of person who changes their car because they get bored with it, or you never really liked it anyway, I would cut my losses and sell it for what I could get but it might still pay to get an engine in. I do think you should be able to get an engine fitted for a lot less than that though. It's not a very big job in a Corsa - I didn't ever do it but I had the gearbox off one once and changed it over in a weekend singlehanded with no engine hoist so for an untested unit (which is all you really need to sell it, so long as it's a runner) you should be under the £500 mark fitted I would think.

Are there any scrapyards in your area? Any option to go and have a look at one, check mileage on the clock and take it away? It would be a lot cheaper and you would know mileage even if not history, and if there is obvious accident damage it would be a fair bet it was at least running when it was scrapped?

Alec

Thanks for the replies, folks.

It's a shame; one of the managers at the old firm wrote a 61 plate off last summer but the insurers have the vehicle now, it was only cosmetic damage.

I'd hold out for a engine off ebay for ~400 or less. I have done the same successfully with 2 08 fiesta, transit connect, pug 206 and put a new engine in a 60 plate transit with 100k miles.. On any of them the parts, like gaskets, timing chains etc would have exceeded the cost of the second-hand engine.

I did have one hard-working fitter of the two to do the work though.

Yeh, that's the option I'm leaning towards ATM, only problem is there's no guarantee of the mileage, and the engines vary so much that it's easy to end up with an engine that's incompatible - apparently I need a Z13DTE, and that last letter is hugely significant.

Have you tried one of the online parts finder sites ?

Like anything else there are good and bad , but normally with reviews, and a warranty.

Yeh, done that, that's where I got the costings mentioned in the OP from. :scared1:

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get a stop-gap for around a grand - the missus is currently rattling around in our son's Micra that's nearly as old as he is.

I. It's not a very big job in a Corsa - I didn't ever do it but I had the gearbox off one once and changed it over in a weekend singlehanded with no engine hoist so for an untested unit (which is all you really need to sell it, so long as it's a runner) you should be under the £500 mark fitted I would think.

I forgot I actually had a BMW 520 D engine rebuilt for £2500 because it was only worth 500 quid with a blown engine and that already had 237k miles on the clock. The manager ( who had had it from new) liked it still so took it as part of his leaving package.

As to DIY; today I have fitted a cam belt twice on my wife's car (because I got it one tooth out first time) :thumbdown: took me about 5 hours and the fitter would have done it in two.

Agg221, the irony is this is the first 'decent' car we've ever bought, and only then coz the wife got a good deal ex-lease through her work at the time - other than that, we too tend to be 'end users'. I'm no expert mechanic, but I could always find my way around a car - not any more though.:001_rolleyes:

Personally, I think there's two ways to go in this day and age - either lease something and get it all included, or buy a 'shed' and run it into the ground or scrap it if major work is required down the line.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yeh, that's the option I'm leaning towards ATM, only problem is there's no guarantee of the mileage, and the engines vary so much that it's easy to end up with an engine that's incompatible - apparently I need a Z13DTE, and that last letter is hugely significant.

Yes you need the exact match.

I posted a query about a pug 206 on here a while back, I had got an engine from a newer model with only 40k miles, the fitter replaced it and it all seemed fine but wouldn't run. Turns out whilst the blocks and gear are all the same on the 206 and fiesta diesels there was a variation on where the cam position sensor was mounted. Fitter had to change all the mounts from the old engine to the new. There were still problems as when the turbo had failed it sooted up the DPF and EGR which added to expense.

Yes you need the exact match.

I posted a query about a pug 206 on here a while back, I had got an engine from a newer model with only 40k miles, the fitter replaced it and it all seemed fine but wouldn't run. Turns out whilst the blocks and gear are all the same on the 206 and fiesta diesels there was a variation on where the cam position sensor was mounted. Fitter had to change all the mounts from the old engine to the new. There were still problems as when the turbo had failed it sooted up the DPF and EGR which added to expense.

This is what's giving me pause for thought ATM - on one online site I was assured they had the correct engine in stock, but when questioned later on the 'phone, it turned out to be an incompatible unit from a slightly earlier model. :001_rolleyes:

Agg221, the irony is this is the first 'decent' car we've ever bought, and only then coz the wife got a good deal ex-lease through her work at the time - other than that, we too tend to be 'end users'. I'm no expert mechanic, but I could always find my way around a car - not any more though.:001_rolleyes:

Personally, I think there's two ways to go in this day and age - either lease something and get it all included, or buy a 'shed' and run it into the ground or scrap it if major work is required down the line.

I bought an ex lease fiesta diesel of the same age with 60k on the clock so similar to you. Took out a warranty for 2 years for £300 and made an£85 claim on it 1 month before it expired, fingers crossed for the future.

Nothing to stop you advertising it on Ebay to get an idea of it's value.