Damn right! A MUST READ.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing's a bloody disgrace. Through the head payments have to be the way forward. Ridiculous way to treat people. :angryfire:

I'd have to spent £6k on the head then tho lol. Diameter sensor on one of the DK has seen better days and could do with a serious refurbish. All credit to TJ Waratah head tho, still accurate, particularly on length but 1of2 dk being slippy means very oval stem will occasionally throw it off.

They won't like it, going back to metreage.

Living like this long term is what makes me stressed out of me box. Some of that stress manifests on this forum sorry.

I wouldn't apologies. UK forestry is rather a secret affair i think unless your in it. So i think it's good that issues surrounding it come out. Big one is not being paid because that come down to why does a cutter earn £80 a day. Well because saw mill hasn't paid me for the last two jobs yet so you're earning £80 more than me.

I've been fortunate enough to have done mostly estate forestry (nice forestry) but commercial machine driving is a horrid affair. pressure to produce, pressure to make the machine pay. Then keeping at least one forwarder if not two keeping up with you. The best bit about it was at least i wasn't the one paying god knows how many million on finance for the operation.

Having worked in Finnish forestry where payment through the head is a matter of course i just can't see why it doesn't catch on here. Well i do but some wrote an article summing that up rather nicely.

I'd have to spent £6k on the head then tho lol. Diameter sensor on one of the DK has seen better days and could do with a serious refurbish. All credit to TJ Waratah head tho, still accurate, particularly on length but 1of2 dk being slippy means very oval stem will occasionally throw it off.

They won't like it, going back to metreage.

No they won't like it at all

As you know jon , the major ones you deal with in these operations some of the contacts couldn't organise a pee up in a brewery :thumbdown::thumbdown:

It would appear that the FISA and the large firms have far to much say and the least practical experience.

What forest industry experience has the current CEO of the FISA got? and have you seen her comments on the FCA?

I challenged the previous chair of the FISA on a number of issued and to be fair he did agree some of the wording on the website could be better. Now the CEO Gillian Clark is ranting on the same rubbish in any media she can. Prime example "all accidents are avoidable" She must not leave the house

As for paying through the head it just means the contractor gets paid quicker there's always discrepancies after all the weigh tickets come in. A company I worked for paid a large contractor this way for 1000's tonnes per week.

There is another solution, if they pay only by weight then Fc should give grants for weigh links of all forwarders!! The new systems I've been looking at are accurate to +-1% of actual weight, all products can be weighed separate and downloaded onto a memory stick to be sent onto contract firm. If this system was recognised then we could all invoice for 90% of weight weekly the timber lorries would know exactly how much is there to be moved and there's still enough to account for any discrepancies so you don't over invoice. Simple simple simples.

There is another solution, if they pay only by weight then Fc should give grants for weigh links of all forwarders!! The new systems I've been looking at are accurate to +-1% of actual weight, all products can be weighed separate and downloaded onto a memory stick to be sent onto contract firm. If this system was recognised then we could all invoice for 90% of weight weekly the timber lorries would know exactly how much is there to be moved and there's still enough to account for any discrepancies so you don't over invoice. Simple simple simples.

Great point but how does it iron out the deliberate leaving at roadside for obvious reasons?

I "sold" some DF 12s to one of the "usual suspects" last year; 50 tonnes or so. When the self-bill invoice came it showed SS 10' bars @ £7/t less. When queried I got told " you wanted it moving and we could only move it to such and such a mill as bars". Talk about taking the p155.