What options are there for narrow kerf blades on larger saws?

Woodworks

At present just have two saws. A 346XP with a 15" bar and MS460 with stock 25" bar. A lot of my work is ringing up timber thats too big to go through the processor of say 14"-24". Is there a way to put a narrower bar on the 460 and if not whats the biggest saw that can use a narrower chain?

Thanks

To my knowledge we are one of very few companies looking at putting narrower kerf bars on larger saws.

And also narrow kerf bars for smaller saws.

We have a full range of GB bars (OK you will need a spacer for Husky saws but we have those as well) inc 20", 24",30", 36", 42", 48" that will take 3/8" Lo Pro chain.

But this is mainly for chainsaw milling - as bear in mind there is a compromise in using a narrow kerf bar.

• Bar is physically thinner and so floppier
  • Chain is lo pro and IMO does not have the same stay sharp qualities as larger chain
  • You will get more chain stretch and it will happen more often
  • Chain does not seem to oil quite as well (This is just an impression I have personally but it may not be the case).

We also have 12" to 18" bars that take 3/8 .043 - even thinner chain than 3/8 .050.

The 30" bar Stubby is talking about would be 3/8 (standard) .050 - in the US instead of having 3/8 .063 for Stihl and 3/8 .058 for Husky they all seem to like 3/8 .050 bars.

:001_smile:

To my knowledge we are one of very few companies looking at putting narrower kerf bars on larger saws.

And also narrow kerf bars for smaller saws.

We have a full range of GB bars (OK you will need a spacer for Husky saws but we have those as well) inc 20", 24",30", 36", 42", 48" that will take 3/8" Lo Pro chain.

But this is mainly for chainsaw milling - as bear in mind there is a compromise in using a narrow kerf bar.

• Bar is physically thinner and so floppier
  • Chain is lo pro and IMO does not have the same stay sharp qualities as larger chain
  • You will get more chain stretch and it will happen more often
  • Chain does not seem to oil quite as well (This is just an impression I have personally but it may not be the case).

We also have 12" to 18" bars that take 3/8 .043 - even thinner chain than 3/8 .050.

The 30" bar Stubby is talking about would be 3/8 (standard) .050 - in the US instead of having 3/8 .063 for Stihl and 3/8 .058 for Husky they all seem to like 3/8 .050 bars.

:001_smile:

Thanks Rob

Had thought in terms of a larger saw but an 18" bar with a narrow chain would probably do 90% of whats needed. What saws would that be suitable for?

Hmmm thinking more carefully I have a whole roll of .325" chain so maybe best to get the gutsiest saw that would use this maybe with a 20" bar?

3120xp with a 208RNDD009 bar

Swap the nose sprocket for a .325" pitch

Swap the clutch for a standard drive spline and a 9 by 325" rim.:lol:

Realistically you're only going to find a small mount Husky(K095) bar in 325 pitch and 58 guage.The largest UK husky is the 560xp(the US 562xp is 3/8) However you may be able to get larger dolly to take this bar.

3120xp with a 208RNDD009 bar

Swap the nose sprocket for a .325" pitch

Swap the clutch for a standard drive spline and a 9 by 325" rim.:lol:

Realistically you're only going to find a small mount Husky(K095) bar in 325 pitch and 58 guage.The largest UK husky is the 560xp(the US 562xp is 3/8) However you may be able to get larger dolly to take this bar.

Was just reading up on the 560xp. Presume they would be more than happy with a 20" bar? It would fill the gap between my other two saws nicely.