Kindling production - how do you do it?

ash_smith123

I've got a kindling machine coming this week and have been doing some research over the last few weeks to find the best way to produce it.

I will be cutting softwood rings with a posch 350 and putting them through a posch kindling machine (yes wearing my posch hat and jacket drinking out of my posch mug [emoji23])

Do you guys dry the rings before putting them into the machine?

Or net the kindling and then dry?

For those that have a kiln how do you find they dry stacked on a pallet or is it better to throw the nets into an Ibc loose and stack onto a pallet after? (I don't like double handling!?)

Any help would be gratefully received!

We do it with pallet wood (broken down crates, body panels come in), from the Nissan factory...

It's sacrilege cutting this wood! :thumbdown:

The quality of the wooden crate is I think, better than what you'd find in a DIY store...

Clean, untreated with anything. Even the corner blocks are solid cubes - not them pressed chip blocks.

OK, there maybe a few nails after burning, but a magnet sharp sorts them out of the ash...

We've even got an outlet for them and the off cuts, so there's zero waste here. :thumbup1:

Yes importing is lucrative but I've always said doing it yourself you will make more money. I just havnt been able to keep up (drying not processing) in the past so I imported half my stock and produce half myself.

There's been a few threads on here where people have asked about starting up and I've said importing is the way to go to start because it's easier to make money quicker. to make a tidy wage out of firewood if your processing it yourself you need to be doing around 1000 cubic metres per person. Unless you have £100k+ to throw at machinery, cordwood and advertising your not going to sell 1000 cubic metres in the first 2-3 years. You can buy a forklift, a container and a van for £10k in and get earning straight away.

.We used to buy it very cheap from a local supplier who couldn't keep up with us and now has stopped doing it so we thought let's just do it ourselves. I've had a few quotes from uk companies that are £1+ more than I was paying before. I sell 60x40 nets of kindling and the few EU companies I use wouldn't produce this size net for me. We are at the stage where we can afford a kindling machine and I also want to expand the business and start doing wholesale kindling.

So there's the reason I have bought a machine.

Edited by ash_smith123