Could anyone identify this log?

wildfisherman

This log washed up on a high tide recently in the northwest of Scotland. I retrieved it because it's not the sort of object you want to leave floating around in the sea and it might make a nice thing to sit on and look out at the day. But I've no idea what it is.

It's a fair size - about 40cm in diameter at the base and 5 metres long. The most distinctive thing about it is these strange bulges it has at four or five points. One has worn down to a paler colour, presumably from where it has been rolling around on a beach.

The 'other' side of it has a major flaw, which looks like maybe it was damaged when it was smaller and had since grown with a continuing wound. My guess is that it's a piece of tropical hardwood which was rejected because it was so damaged that only half of it would be any use and it was all more trouble than it was worth, but maybe it's something more mundane.

Can anyone help?

IMG_4896.jpg.b61899a8da4b7877684f9bf6dc8e7160.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg.f41d33a593faa04a44472ee71af765f6.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg.040c5d2a56c5df1634ea625552834e1b.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg.0b640756917d226c61a5faa66c5e6ea1.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg.6fe24b873dfe42753738d8a1fd47386e.jpg

Edited by wildfisherman
Spelling

I realise this is completely unhelpful, but I'm reluctant to cut a lump off because if I'm going to keep it as a bench I quite like it with its worn ends. A part of its history. I had hoped those strange knobbles were indicative of something, or could at least rule local trees out, but if those sort of things can be found on local conifers that would be a more likely explanation than mine.