MB trac.... what's your opinion?

casto

Evening all

I'm thinking of starting the search for an mb trac to replace one of my u900's. I just wanted to see what people's experiences are of them. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

I'd be looking for a 6 pot so 1000? up to a 1500.

Thanks in advance :001_smile:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A plant hire company I worked for in 1995/6 had an MB1500.

It was B reg iirc so around 1985 vintage ,we used to use it with a 3 axle low loader trailer for moving excavators around locally , used to pull a 20ton machine around easily.

We also used a 15 ton dump trailer as well , I remember that there was some problem with the gearbox and this was removed and sent to Mercedes for repair . When it was refitted I found that it had gained an extra gear, apparently they all had this high speed top gear but it was blanked off unless specified by the original purchaser , this turned it into a flying machine with air brakes thank goodness!

I am not sure if they all had reverse drive capability but this one had the seat and steering wheel with dash etc on a turntable affair that could be turned around in opposite directions,leaving the gear levers where they were. All in All a good tractor but very cumbersome and primitive by todays standards.:001_smile:

Martin.

Thanks Martin!

As far as I know, the bigger mogs had a blanked off gear, not sure what speed that would take one up to?! A reverse drive sounds like something useful as well!

One of the reasons I thought about having an mb is there 40k boxes and front suspension making them more comfy on the road? I also like the older gear, no electrics to go wrong

Very good machines. Tin work can rot away if they have lived outside or had a rough life.

Like all 80s tractors they look a little dated on the inside. Like unimogs merc still make all the spares.

As long as trac's are a bit comfier and have a radio I don't mind too much. They sound like the massy 698t I borrow, :lol:

The 1500 used to ride well on the road ,not sure how fast but the tyres used to hum with the extra gear!

I never really used the machine for proper tractor work mainly transport duties. The reverse drive would be good on a mulcher I would imagine.

The cab only had one door and you had to be mindful of this in tight spaces.:001_smile:

Can't beat a good tyre hum:thumbup:

Yes, I can see that would be great with a mulcher on or general mowing works.

As much as I'd love a brand new valtra or fendt my little budget won't stretch to one of those and the mb trac seems to be a good old style machine that could almost keep up with a modern rig?

Has anyone used one on more of the agricultural side? Not just hauling?