Keeping logs dry AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!

simonm

If it's an option, I find that a very windy position on any site will result in the wind reducing the moisture at a more rapid rate than the rain will soak it. There are exceptions of course (heavy downpours, times of low wind) but I just stack the crates 4m high an exposed corner of the yard and they dry quickly, even at this time of year. Not quite ready to burn dry, but nothing that a few weeks in a well ventilated wood store won't sort.

Firewood is such a low value product (for the amount of space it occupies) that it's not really economical to store under cover on a commercial scale (in my opinion). If you use the example of a mid sized firewood business, selling perhaps 2000 cube a year, you've got enough to fill a 20x25m shed 4m high without any ventilation channels. Who can afford that?

As I've said before, my feeling is that first priority that customers should season their own firewood. Failing that, they should accept that it's not economical to keep firewood bone dry on a commercial basis over winter. If they don't have space to dry or adequately store their own firewood, they shouldn't bother with a stove. It's not an cost effective way of heating a house if the only way you can take it is a cubic metre at a time and you expect to burn it that night. Stuff 'em, basically! :laugh1:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got 4 large open sided sheds that we have built from telegraph poles and steel roof sheets to keep logs dry which work fine, i desperately need more undercover storage but as i am looking to buy my own piece of land am reluctant to make more permanent buildings. We split into ibc's stack them 2 high and line them up, ive tried covering them with various tarpaulin sheets from cheap ones to dear ones, roof sheets strapped down, concrete blocks on top! you name it we have tried it! every time the wind blows bits of it off :sneaky2: does anyone have a better way of covering them :confused1:

In your shoes I would not bother covering the outside ones - assuming you start with 4 full sheds start emptying one shed, once you have enough space to get in then start fillling the empty space but leave a gap between old and new - by the time you empty the last shed the first will be fine again.

If you are really keen to cover them don't use fibre or plastic sheets - use some second hand corrugated iron well weighed down.

Your other option is to get or make (its easy enough) some net to go over your sheeting and tie that down.

i like the look of that, so what sizes you got

Hi Carpenter, the hocker frames are a modular system, both th9m wide and 3.66m wide come in 3m sections, if you want bigger you just add another 3m bay.

So we've got anything from 3m to 60m long in the 9m and 3m t0 90m in the 3.66m.

Hope that makes sense

Ernie.

Hi Carpenter, the hocker frames are a modular system, both th9m wide and 3.66m wide come in 3m sections, if you want bigger you just add another 3m bay.

Hope that makes sense

Ernie.

thanks

do you do 6m x 6m?

Hope that makes sense

Ernie.

How much per bay?

• 4 years later...
On 01/01/2017 at 13:00, Daniël Bos said:

https://www.flexiblelining.co.uk/toptex-wood-storage-cover

This is the stuff you want!

It let's air through, so the wood can dry and there's no condensation.

As air flows through, it's much less of an issue to keep it in place, it doesn't flap about either.

It sheds water.

It's a non woven fabric (bit like fleece/felt) which makes it quite resistant to tearing, and if it does get damaged, tears don't "run"

It's a fairly neutral colour.

It lasts for years.

It's not too expensive.

I get commission.

Unfortunately the last one isn't true...

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

So 4yrs on  how has your Toptex  performed as thinking of using it myself .   As per my new thread asking about it. Many  thanks.