Keeping logs dry AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!

simonm

I have got 4 large open sided sheds that we have built from telegraph poles and steel roof sheets to keep logs dry which work fine, i desperately need more undercover storage but as i am looking to buy my own piece of land am reluctant to make more permanent buildings. We split into ibc's stack them 2 high and line them up, ive tried covering them with various tarpaulin sheets from cheap ones to dear ones, roof sheets strapped down, concrete blocks on top! you name it we have tried it! every time the wind blows bits of it off :sneaky2: does anyone have a better way of covering them :confused1:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cover them all with one sheet and tie it to the base of the ibcs. Best value cover is silage sheeting. 25mx4m is only £50-60 and that will cover alot of containers.

When you're tying, if you haven't used it before, pull the side into a long bundle, tie round it then fold it back on itself and tie the same string around the whole thing then you can pull as hard as you want.

Heavy Duty Black Polythene Plastic Sheeting 4M Wide DPM Rolls 300Mu,1200 Gauge | eBay

Yep tried both of the above! it can get really windy where they are stored, i have tried to find old curtains of a wagon body as i think when they are tied down they wont flap around as much, cant find any for love nor money!

Lorry curtain sides or advertising banners are usually on ebay

With my (tiny number of) IBCs I'm putting a pallet on top of the full cages, laying a length of 2m wide scaffold sheet along the row of cages and then another pallet on top of each cage again.

The overlap of the sheet at the sides is minimal for the wind to get a purchase on. To reduce it further you could fold a pleat along the length of the sheet to make the sheet the width of the cage.

To access any cage I only have to lift off pallets (I try to use lightweight ones for the top layer) and roll the sheet back.

Don't knock the strong wind; it's what does your drying!

https://www.flexiblelining.co.uk/toptex-wood-storage-cover

This is the stuff you want!

It let's air through, so the wood can dry and there's no condensation.

As air flows through, it's much less of an issue to keep it in place, it doesn't flap about either.

It sheds water.

It's a non woven fabric (bit like fleece/felt) which makes it quite resistant to tearing, and if it does get damaged, tears don't "run"

It's a fairly neutral colour.

It lasts for years.

It's not too expensive.

I get commission.

Unfortunately the last one isn't true...

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

https://www.flexiblelining.co.uk/toptex-wood-storage-cover

This is the stuff you want!

It let's air through, so the wood can dry and there's no condensation.

As air flows through, it's much less of an issue to keep it in place, it doesn't flap about either.

It sheds water.

It's a non woven fabric (bit like fleece/felt) which makes it quite resistant to tearing, and if it does get damaged, tears don't "run"

It's a fairly neutral colour.

It lasts for years.

It's not too expensive.

I get commission.

Unfortunately the last one isn't true...

Have you used this? looks good but how would it cope with rain pooling on the top? i guess it would have to be sloped to allow the water to run off.

I have used this exclusively for about 7 years now, with the first sheet still in service.

My logs are on pallets with a stockwire around the edge, and I just make sure they're a bit heaped. Never any issues with water pooling as it would just come through the fabric. But it's never been an issue.

Have had a flat top strawpile over two years stay perfect.

I normally tie things to the edge, so there's always tension.