Felling wedges

AllyH

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem, I think you'll find the condom thread in members only, just saying :-)

I was talkin about wedges, the ribbed ones stay put n resist spittin out.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Felling-Wedges/Black-Bear-Rifled-Felling-Wedges/

You must have a nasty mind mate...

Jomoco

Edited by jomoco

This is probably the best advice so far.

Thank you.

long-ski-bag_pr1466_1.jpg

This isn't quite what i have mine is a bit smaller and actually from some display boards. But it is a fantastic thing to carry a sledge hammer/axe and a load of wedges. Currently got a can't hook in my one as well. Means you can have all the tools you want but don't have to carry them around. Before this i had a back pack full of wedges and stuff.

At the APF this year, someone had a high lift hybrid- Aluminium wedge with a plastic insert. Ment to buy one but got talking and forgot.looked to be a good compromise between the narrow taper of a nylon wedge, and the beat-ability of a high lift.

Anyone know who was selling them.

This?

https://www.clarkforest.com/shop/forest-garden/felling-wedges/plastic-handle-for-high-lift-wedges

a bit of well seasoned ash and cut your own, easy to replace, very very cheap, and wont damage any chains if you have a little woopsie

At the woodyard when I was a teenager we always made them and used them as splitting wedges as well once the crack was started with a metal wedge.

Just looking for a general opinion. What really is the best felling wedge to use, and what is the best 2 sizes? Any help/opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Depends in whether you're only using them to wedge a tree over, if that's the case then a high lift is the one. On the other hand if you're using wedges for other reasons then I'd carry a mix, my preference is for 2 x 5 1/2" Oregon and 2 X 8" Oregon on my belt and a high lift to hand.

You can stack a couple of 8" wedges but they can slip, especially if you're driving them in with an axe and not being accurate with your strikes, you can also drive a high lift further in due to the length. I prefer the wooden insert but definitely double up on the rings.

Just my view :001_smile: