ms 660 problems

Adam

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my 660 in 2004....been nothin but trouble....got a 30"/25" bar and can never get the chain to tighten fully (unless the bar is at its max) and it never oils enongh......i dont see why the saws cant have added manual oil pumps like to good old CD2100 Husky from few years back.....also those saws balanced better with a larger bar.... like the look of the 390xp though (the chainbreak looks a bit sturdier than the 395 and 3120 xp machines).

• 1 month later...

Had the 660 back to the dealer again:scared:

This time they agreed it was time to fit a new oil pump.

Had a phone call from the fitter who inspected mine. He started telling me he had stripped and checked the tensioner, oil pump and pipes. He then said the tensioner is ok, works fine, and i was probably trying to over-tighten the chain. And, the bar groove needed cleaning out so now he`s cleaned it out, it oils fine!

I feel insulted, i have always been maticulous servicing and i have always felt my maintenance is well above average, but i was definately put in my place.

Whats more is, as it was "bad maintenance" i will be getting a bill for his time:jumping38:

They have also agreed to wave the bill i got for the above visit! Think that was around £45:bongsmi:

At one point it looked like i wasnt getting anywhere with my dealer but finally looks like they have taken notice!

Suppose the only thing to do is try it and see how it oils now!

Oh, and mysteriously the tensioner seems fine now:fisheye:

• 3 weeks later...

I too have the same problem with my 660.

I have to run the oiler on full to get proper chain lubrication.

I am on my second tensioner and the threaded adjuster gets about half way down and then threads the L shaped part with the stud on that fits into the bar.

I am about to change both parts again to see if it cures it.

Maybe a bad batch of bits? or the L shaped bit is a lot softer metal than the threaded adjuster.

Problem is you have to get half way through the life of a chain before you want to adjust up to that point.

I also know what your saying about parts counter assistants speaking to you as though your an idiot who doesnt know one end of a saw from the other.

We keep our saws properly cleaned and well maintained.

Aside from that its an excellent saw. Just need to get this niggle ironed out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope my 660 is ok , got me worried now , just bought it but not used it yet , have to run it in first though!

Think its only with a few mate, dont panic over it!

Run it in?:scared: Do you mean bray it as hard as you can for the first 10 tanks of fuel, getting it well loosened up?

Wouldnt worry about running in nowadays, i`ve found running them steady for a start leaves a saw tight all its life. If it blows, its on warranty:wave: