Tractor insurance?

sandspider

Register it as a historic vehicle, still need to apply for tax but fee is nil.

I have a large collection of vintage tractors and registered many of them myself, some with the original number where supporting documentation was available and some with an age-related plate. Easy enough with the forms you have ordered. DVLA need proof of age which can be in the form of a letter from the manufacturer saying serial number xxx was built on such a date.

No mot for tractors of any type (I have modern ones too).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly you are miss informed.

Whilst it is true you can register it as you see fit it is the use that defines what it is.

Just like farmers cant use the tractor to do haulage or even go to the shops for the weekly food.

So if stopped cutting the local parks grass (or other non agri stuff) after driving it on the road you will need it to be taxed, MOTed (actually inspected) running on tax paid fuel etc etc.

Would cutting grass not be classed as horticulture with an agricultural machine?

i know if you want to haul with a fast trac say it has to registered as a lorry and you need a C+E to drive it as well as O license and 6 weekly inspections.

Would cutting grass not be classed as horticulture with an agricultural machine?

This depends on the type of grass, if it's a playing field then it's not considered agrculture or horticulture and if you drive the tractor on the road to the job or it's a place where traffic laws apply then you need to use DERV, as to licensing I thought even heavy tractors were cobered by B if you were over 21.

i know if you want to haul with a fast trac say it has to registered as a lorry and you need a C+E to drive it as well as O license and 6 weekly inspections.

Should be taxed as general haulage (depending on what your hauling)

The tractor can not be mot'd, the trailers however can and should be.

no mot for trailers (yet) in the uk

also the cutting of grass, isnt as simple asyes youcan/no you cant, there are a multitude of different scenarios covered by HMRC as to what fuel you can use, using a tractor on the road can be really simple IF you read, understand, and keep a copy with you, of the construction and use act defining a tractor, and a copy of HMRC's use of rebated fuels, as Ive stated in numerous posts about Mog usage, no grey areas, only stupid enforcement officers......its all down in black and white