wanted cordwood.

wendys wood

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether it is right or wrong. It is a fact of life that the term "cordwood" has slipped into our language as a term referring to unprocessed firewood.

It is quite clear that all those moaning about it haven't got any to sell; otherwise they would be more interested in making a sale than sniping!

It is no good being pedantic. Try taking a couple of big bags of balsa wood logs to a customer and try to sell them as hardwood. They will just tell you to clear off.

Don't see a problem with it myself.

When I first started a cord was a measure of firewood .In those days it was accepted that anything from large hardwood fells that was not destined for the mill belonged to the fallers.Their rate included hand burning tops unless there was a different arrangement. If the estate wanted to keep the firewood the fallers were paid a set amount per cord for stacking it .On some sites there was the option of fallers selling the firewood , in which case it was sold by the cord.

Whether it is right or wrong. It is a fact of life that the term "cordwood" has slipped into our language as a term referring to unprocessed firewood.

THEN SURELY YOU MUST AGREE IT'S BEST TO EDUCATE RATHER THAN LET IT SLIP ANY FURTHER?!

It is quite clear that all those moaning about it haven't got any to sell; otherwise they would be more interested in making a sale than sniping!

BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SNIPING & BANTER!!!

It is no good being pedantic.

THAT'S IRONIC!!!

Try taking a couple of big bags of balsa wood logs to a customer and try to sell them as hardwood.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ON ABOUT???

They will just tell you to clear off.

GREAT ADVICE, EITHER CHILL OUT OR TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE PERHAPS?!?

SEE CAPITALS IN TEXT :001_tongue:

Don't see a problem with it myself.

When I first started a cord was a measure of firewood .In those days it was accepted that anything from large hardwood fells that was not destined for the mill belonged to the fallers.Their rate included hand burning tops unless there was a different arrangement. If the estate wanted to keep the firewood the fallers were paid a set amount per cord for stacking it .On some sites there was the option of fallers selling the firewood , in which case it was sold by the cord.

Much the same with me, we'd get a rate for falling, knotting and topping oaks and either keep the cordwood often in exchange for burning up. The big companies would just burn the tops with the ubiquitous CAT951, whilst extracting and loading. Luckily the big hardwood men scorned trees less than 100Hft so we had the "crumbs" they left behind. On non shooting estates we often worked their tops for firewood after they had creamed the timber.

At one time I could accurately guess the number of cord per 1000Hft of timber and yes it was called cordwood as opposed to roundwood which was normally softwood or hardwood that was good enough for the pulp mill.

The cord of 8ft by 4 ft by 4ft was a convenient sized stack without carrying anything too far. The 4ft length was a good compromise for manual handling, straightness which could be achieved and in pre chainsaw days (before my time) minimised cross cutting. It was also a size that could be used in an inglenook with the rate of burning controlled by the andirons, as logs depend of mutual radiation to keep burning.

Much the same with me, we'd get a rate for falling, knotting and topping oaks and either keep the cordwood often in exchange for burning up. The big companies would just burn the tops with the ubiquitous CAT951, whilst extracting and loading. Luckily the big hardwood men scorned trees less than 100Hft so we had the "crumbs" they left behind. On non shooting estates we often worked their tops for firewood after they had creamed the timber.

At one time I could accurately guess the number of cord per 1000Hft of timber and yes it was called cordwood as opposed to roundwood which was normally softwood or hardwood that was good enough for the pulp mill.

The cord of 8ft by 4 ft by 4ft was a convenient sized stack without carrying anything too far. The 4ft length was a good compromise for manual handling, straightness which could be achieved and in pre chainsaw days (before my time) minimised cross cutting. It was also a size that could be used in an inglenook with the rate of burning controlled by the andirons, as logs depend of mutual radiation to keep burning.

That's the one, a cord was recognised stack of firewood .

Most of my early days were in the north,..so hillsides and ghylls, so no real machine burn. We could measure down to around 6qg, for limbs for the chocking gangs. There were quite a few mobile outfits with push benches that chocked on site, so not masses of waste.

10p a hoppus average price in those days,..fell, dress out and burn.

It is no good being pedantic. Try taking a couple of big bags of balsa wood logs to a customer and try to sell them as hardwood. They will just tell you to clear off.

outside of this board or it's fb page I don't know anyone who uses the term cordwood it's always referred to as firewood or hardwood pulp might just be a regional thing.

outside of this board or it's fb page I don't know anyone who uses the term cordwood it's always referred to as firewood or hardwood pulp might just be a regional thing.

The term 'Cordwood' is used round this part of Kent to describe any sort of small-diameter timber, usually destined for firewood. Probably because there was so much coppicing in this area, it's hung on in our terms and was, and still is, used as a measure as well as a general description.

I thought is was a common term everywhere.

30 years ago I was cutting 'pulp' for the manufacture of newsprint but that has probably declined dramatically along with the decline in newspaper sales. I haven't heard that term for a while. It's all 'biomass' now, a completely un-inspiring word, sounds like some kid's had an accident in his pants!

Edited by Ilnumero