'02 Ford ranger / B2500 owners

inthewoods

Hi guys, I've had my ranger a few months now & apart from £500 odd quid for mot & 600 quid on tyres she's been as good as a hilux... Up until today, I'm getting a hell of a rumble down below at over 40mph with nothing obvious being apparent. So was just wondering what has gone wrong / been replaced on your trucks?

Thought it was the centre bearing on prop at first but seems OK.

I did some deep wading a month back so it may be water in my diffs but will find out tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any replies :thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the usual wheel bearings (jack up each corner and check for play)

Transfer boxes go with a rumble, if you jack the rear up you should be able to feel it through the rear prop.

The uj's on the prop bind up, take it off the diff and see if it feels tight.

They are your common things

Deep water wading is not really a good idea, gear boxes and diffs have breathers to allow for the change in temperature. When you go in cold water the air in the gearbox or diff cools and constricts causing a vacuum which sucks water in.

Unimogs can be fitted with a "wading kit" this put slightly pressurised air into the hubs, diffs, gearbox, etc, this prevents the vacuum and ingress of water.

Cheers guys, have had all 4 wheels off of the ground & no play. It's too cold out there now to be rolling around on the floor so I'll check all 3 diffs int mornin.

There was me thinking 2016 wasn't too bad, this could be expensive & the dogs going to the vets tomorrow :-(

Appreciate the fact about the wading but there was no other way of getting home! :-)

Had a similar problem on our 2006 Ford Ranger. There is a metal ring bonded to the prop shaft at the rear coupling. Not sure if it's for anti-vibration or there to protect the diff. Anyway the metal ring which is quite thick and heavy was disbonding. I cut it off with a disk cutter and have been driving the pickup for over a year with no adverse effects without it. Cured our vibration issue.

Had a similar problem on our 2006 Ford Ranger. There is a metal ring bonded to the prop shaft at the rear coupling. Not sure if it's for anti-vibration or there to protect the diff. Anyway the metal ring which is quite thick and heavy was disbonding. I cut it off with a disk cutter and have been driving the pickup for over a year with no adverse effects without it. Cured our vibration issue.

Nice one, will check it out when I can feel my hands again, it's freezing out there! :-)

I had the same as this on my 54 plate. Cut it off and had no problems. It's surprising how it being slightly off centered really vibrated the truck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app