Milled oak price

Birch

Merry Christmas all!

I have a large oak tree which I've recently taken down for someone, I intend to have milled into boards, I have someone to mill it and someone who's potentially interested in buying some the boards.

I just don't have a very good idea of what their worth,

They'll be between 4 and 8 ft long, and 12 to 30 inches wide, and if the chap I have in mind has them he wants them 2 inch thick.

Any ideas what the asking price should be?

Thanks

Assuming the quality is OK - nothing special in the grain but no major defects, I would take the following into account:

4ft is quite short.

12" is the narrower end, assuming this is because they are milled quite a long way out from the centre, through and through sawn, and therefore liable to cup.

8ft is a good length.

30" is a nice wide board for 'feature' use.

I would measure up cubic feet actually achieved once the tree is milled. I would do this as length x thickness and assuming relatively parallel sided boards, x minimum width on the narrower side, heartwood only. If not parallel sided it gets a bit more tricky if they are being used double waney edged as features for example. I would take all measurements in inches and divide through by 1728 to get cubic feet.

For green oak, I would regard £15/cube as the bottom end, £20/cube as a reasonable price. I wouldn't go lower than this as it wouldn't recover the costs relative to the risk taken in milling the tree (risk of potential defects) - you might win on one tree but on average you will lose when you get the 'bad one'.

If they are having the lot and there is a fair mix of board sizes across that range, I would be quite happy at £15/cube pre-sold. If most of the boards are the larger size and they want the small ones on top, I might go up to around £17.50/cube. If they are going to pick through the pile and choose the ones they want it would definitely be £20/cube as you will spend more time on this and the boards you are left with will be the lower value ones.

Alec

Thanks for the input chaps, very useful.

The guy who wants the timber is fairly clued up(more so than me).

Just wanted to have an idea what I should be asking for them(M3 or Ft3).

It's for furniture making so 4ft is just as useful to him, he did want a price for them in the round, & a price for my mate to mill them, but I think I'd rather offer them ready milled as would like to sell more to others in future,

I also have some large diameter sycamore, what sort of price should that fetch in 2and a quarter inch boards?

Thanks again

Thanks for the input chaps, very useful.

The guy who wants the timber is fairly clued up(more so than me).

Just wanted to have an idea what I should be asking for them(M3 or Ft3).

It's for furniture making so 4ft is just as useful to him, he did want a price for them in the round, & a price for my mate to mill them, but I think I'd rather offer them ready milled as would like to sell more to others in future,

I also have some large diameter sycamore, what sort of price should that fetch in 2and a quarter inch boards?

Thanks again

what diameter is the sycamore? over 30"?