what is more dangerous a compression, included or tensile fork

danthemanwhocan

Hi people! I have to answer this question for my course work but it has me a bit stuck on research material so I wonder if any one can help. Thanks in advance!

What is more dangerous a compression, included or tensile fork?

I'm thinking included the most dangerous because of bad connection or bark acting like a crack then maybe compression but that's a guess.:001_huh:

When it comes to the risk that these features pose Kevin is absolutely right. However, I'm guessing the question you have been set relates to the likelihood of failure rather than risk.

The answer you are looking for is in 'Principles of Tree Hazard Assessment and Management' (Lonsdale, 1999). You could also look at Duncan Slater's recent work to provide a more detailed and up to date answer.

What course are you on?

Thanks.

I have 'Principles of Tree Hazard Assessment and Management' which is great. I don't have it on me today though.

I'm doing level 4 treelife course at Westonburt. That's great too.!

We have studied Slater's attachment theory a little. I have not got my head around that subject yet but I don't think I'm the only one!

Your right. I failed to spot that detail.

I mean in general, regardless of location and other details. Is there a correct or clear answer? I think have seen more compression and included faliures but maybe that's down to working mostly in peoples gardens where trees are more crowded.

Crowding doesn't cause compression. It might encourage inclusion but it doesn't cause it. And crowded trees have mutual companion shelter such that weak forks survive where they wouldn't otherwise. And when they do the crowding reduces damage to people and property.

There is a clear and correct answer to this fairy vague question. But since the purpose of course works is to encourage thought and research and an answer in your own words, you'll get most benefit and sense of reward from researching higher authorities than Arbtalk. Lonsdale's book has been mentioned, and Mattheck/Breloer's Body Language of Trees is perhaps more approachable in presenting the arguments, since it does it from a biomechanics perspective rather than a risk management perspective. I'm pretty sure Shigo covers it well. As others have hinted, all other things being equal it is a question or likelihood of failure rather than risk.

I'm trying to be cruel to be kind. Try and enjoy pursuing the realisation of what the answer is and why. It's a good answer to have in your pocket for the rest of your tree career.

Duncan Slater's latest research document on forks is available via the AA website or free if you go to the seminar. A couple of links below relate to some of his older work which may help :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8owIcm9abDGWFM0M1pZc0JRU2c/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8owIcm9abDGT3NPbndzNXcwWlU/view

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks guys! I just hit the books and found the answer in Body language of trees. I nearly fell asleep though! Love it really but I'm finding the branch attachment thing a bit hard to grasp.

Thanks for the links JaySmith. I'm looking forward to going through that and it will be really helpful for another assignment.

daltontrees you are cruel but I understand and appreciate the post. Its good to hear from people on hear as theirs a lot of knowledge and experience.

• 5 years later...
On 21/12/2016 at 14:55, danthemanwhocan said:

Thanks guys! I just hit the books and found the answer in Body language of trees. I nearly fell asleep though! Love it really but I'm finding the branch attachment thing a bit hard to grasp.

Thanks for the links JaySmith. I'm looking forward to going through that and it will be really helpful for another assignment.

daltontrees you are cruel but I understand and appreciate the post. Its good to hear from people on hear as theirs a lot of knowledge and experience.

I find this really interesting. 

"found the answer" they wanted, not necessarily the correct answer when you account for all the new research