Rhododendron Grants for removal

Dean Lofthouse

You will get something towards it a part of a woodland grant scheme (WGS), as I cleared 22 hectares 2 years ago on the estate, paid for by WGS.

Talk to your local Forestr commision office, They will give you full details.

It needs doing, as Rhody drastically reduces biodiversity in Oak woodland, poisoning everything. If you need a hand, let me know, as I've had an unfortunately large amount of experience in rhody clearing :(

Received this reply from my local forestry officer.

Dear Dean,

funding is available for control of Rhododendron under Woodland Management Grant or Woodland Improvement Grant where the woodland is eligible for this work and the clearance works towards enhancing the woodland.

If its the piece of woodland I met you in to look at felling for a log storage area some time ago, forming part of/ adjacent to Bradley wood then it should be eligible for grant funding to enhance biodiversity as ancient woodland is a UK Biodiversity Action Plan target. Rhodo clearance would have to form part of a suite of work to enhance the woodland - this may be for example replanting/underplanting with native species following rhodo clearance.... If its a different location I'd need to check to see if it is eligible.

Our grant schemes are currently closed but are expected to re-open in April.

Rates are dependant on size of rhodo material: where the majority is under 7cm FC will contribute 50% of £300 (i.e. £150/ha) the rate is higher for larger material (50% of £2000/ha) and a contribution to follow-up spraying may also be available.

If you wish to meet on site to look at the potential for grant aid I'd be happy to do so

Will arrange to meet and see what he says