A walk on the darkside... Buy 1 get 1 free

Rob D

I'd want to know that the rivets holding all together are made to the right standard and quality...snapping chains...never mind the price...then the wear rate...wouldn't like an insurance claim for an accident that's down to inferior cheap and nasty Chinese chain...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually very few people know exactly where a product has come from. Many reputable companies, many in the garden machinery sector use Chinese production, but as long as the specification is made , then it helps keep costs down. If Rob specs a good quality product then there is no reason why the Chinese cannot make it. If he just asks for a roll of chain then it may be made of plasticine. After all most of us use Apple products and guess where a lot of them are made!

In China there are firms who make a good product - but plenty more that don't. We are have not just pulled names out of a hat for this chain - these are amoung the best and most consistant chain producers.

We have an understanding of which companies in China produce which chain under which brand.

You can tell us what the chain is like to use :)

Chinese chain will be a much bigger player in the market in times to come.

:001_smile:

...inferior cheap and nasty Chinese chain...

Not that your prejudiced right? ;)

Look - it's your choice whether or not you want to try a cheaper chain. If you feel there is more risk involved and you are unsure of the product then don't buy it - simples. No one is forcing you to.

We have visited the factories, we have seen the production, we have seen the quality control - these places have made chain for a long time.

But they will never be (in the short term certainly) the same quality as Stihl and Oregon.

We have visited the factories, we have seen the production, we have seen the quality control - these places have made chain for a long time.

But they will never be (in the short term certainly) the same quality as Stihl and Oregon.

Why not? I assume that it's only the steel spec that's letting them down, so what stops them sorting that to produce a like for like product?

I'm not being facetious or argumentative, just wondering why you think they won't.

Rob....its not prejudice its about safety and not just to me....

You have been in this industry for long enough, hopefully done your homework and as far as I am aware have a good reputation particularly on this forum...don't spoil it by trying to push cheaper Far Eastern products...particularly with something as important as chainsaw chain

As we all know, the chain is a critical part on a saw it suffers all the stresses of being flung around the bar at high speed with and without lubrication....embedded in the wood

A long time ago I left school and studied Metallurgy and Engineering..., life has later taken me in other directions...

This Chinese chain - what European/UK testing, verification and comparisons have you/others actually done before you are asking people on here to try ? Has it gone in a lab somewhere and a report compiled along with a couple of known manufacturers chains ?

Husqvarna have just built a new chain line, gone to great lengths on analysis and testing...

Have you used it in a working environment for 6/12 months without issues ?

Putting it out there and asking for feedback from the guys, your tone infers that its our risk....

If there is an accident which comes down to this stuff where does everyone stand ?

HSE gets involved, insurance companies, law suits...reputations destroyed

Sorry the risk is too great...

Why not? I assume that it's only the steel spec that's letting them down, so what stops them sorting that to produce a like for like product?

I'm not being facetious or argumentative, just wondering why you think they won't.

Ok - change that to I don't they will be as good in the short term. I suppose anything is possible long term ;)

Oregon and Stihl have the tech and financial muscle to always stay ahead of the game. So as Chinese chain improves - so the big manufactuers will also improve.

Rob....its not prejudice its about safety and not just to me....

You have been in this industry for long enough, hopefully done your homework and as far as I am aware have a good reputation particularly on this forum...don't spoil it by trying to push cheaper Far Eastern products...particularly with something as important as chainsaw chain

As we all know, the chain is a critical part on a saw it suffers all the stresses of being flung around the bar at high speed with and without lubrication....embedded in the wood

A long time ago I left school and studied Metallurgy and Engineering..., life has later taken me in other directions...

This Chinese chain - what European/UK testing, verification and comparisons have you/others actually done before you are asking people on here to try ? Has it gone in a lab somewhere and a report compiled along with a couple of known manufacturers chains ?

Husqvarna have just built a new chain line, gone to great lengths on analysis and testing...

Have you used it in a working environment for 6/12 months without issues ?

Putting it out there and asking for feedback from the guys, your tone infers that its our risk....

If there is an accident which comes down to this stuff where does everyone stand ?

HSE gets involved, insurance companies, law suits...reputations destroyed

Sorry the risk is too great...

Hmmm.... You should quantify that coment really and say 'In your opinion the risk is too great'

We are not asking people to test this from the point of view of it's safety - only it's performance. If we felt it was at all unsafe we would not sell it.

How do you know Husqvana have gone to great lengths to analyse and test their chain? Because they advertise that? It may well be true and they did - but I hope they did a better job than they did with their bars....

The factories we sourced this from have been making chain for around 10 years. We viewed their testing equipment and their manufacturing process. It looks sound.

I do get where you're coming from - from a H&S point of view if there was an accident we have to prove due diligence in sourcing our products. We have done this.

And we have done far more (I expect) than others that are selling Chinese chain.

It's not a new thing - Chinese chain has been available for years and easily bought here in the UK - some of it was/is probably sub standard. From the checks we have made ours is not.

OK, get your points, my comments on my opinion on risk...Chinese chain has been around for years...I've experienced Chinese stuff that fails when it shouldn't, simple things, so tend to steer clear..Competitive Price always attracts interest...

What is your own experience of running it on a saw and how it compares to other chain offerings by the chain vendors we all know and trust, some of which you sell ?

There is a report in the forestry journal (online) on the new Husqvarna chain...interesting read...

If I am honest, it would be better to offer the first 10 chains free to those buying a stihl or husqvarna and asking them to compare [probbably repeat customers would be best] Ask them to give unbiased critiques - this is of great value to manufacturer and they should pay you for it.

What is then written on an open forum will move things forward faster.

Just my thought on this.

If I am honest, it would be better to offer the first 10 chains free to those buying a stihl or husqvarna and asking them to compare [probbably repeat customers would be best] Ask them to give unbiased critiques - this is of great value to manufacturer and they should pay you for it.

What is then written on an open forum will move things forward faster.

Just my thought on this.

We don't sell chainsaws! And if we did I think if Husky and Stihl found out we were adding a budget chain they may have something to say!

Critiques may be valuable but I have yet to find a manufacturer that will pay you anything other than a quick 'thankyou' for them - and you're luck to get that (rightly or wrongly).

But possibly we could do an offer with a buy an Oregon chain get a free chain with it.

:)