Nhs

eggsarascal

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NHS shouldn't have anything to do with paracetamol.

Their staff should be trained to spot subnuts and tell them to get themselves away to the shop to sort their hangover/Jeremy Kyle induced 'possible brain tumour' out.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yes, the big drain is the "worried well", not sure what the answer is for folk who think they may be ill but aren't, I'm not slagging them, they are genuinely worried! But they cost a fortune!!

I'm fairly sure of one thing, a thousand,non-medical managers won't sort it out.

Reduce funding for these known parasites by 10% every year. Fine the pharmaceutical companies for giving out free samples like candy that in turn gets the parasites hooked in the first place, in most cases. If the fines can't or won't be paid throw the executives in jail.

For the balance that choose to continue to use and abuse the nhs, exile. If there are families involved and innocent children, adoption is usually viable as opposed to continuing the status quo.

easy-lift guy

The NHS is expensive and rubbish, until you consider the alternatives.

All of this is free at the point of delivery, you may have to wait, but you get it even if you can't afford to pay. Personally I don't have £10k in a bank account for a new knee.

I am rather keen on the NHS.

If we had no NHS we would all pay insurance, just as people in the countries you list do.

And if everyone actually paid for their own policy and insurance companies were allow to compete with one another in order to provide the best coverage for the best price competition would naturally lower the price of said coverage. Tort reform and allowing customers the choice to purchase coverage from where ever instead of a specific geographic area can and will reduce prices for coverage. When there are more people collecting from a system than are paying into a system the results will mean longer and longer periods of time to schedule appointments to actually see a doctor much less have a problem diagnosed and treated. I understand that the citizens of the U.K. are use to waiting extremely long periods of time between actually seeing a doctor and being treated. Especially for major surgeries. I guess the real question remains,continue the statu quo and wait for an entitlement that will collapse under its own weight or consider actually paying ones own way and allow competition and non governmental intervention to overall lower cost to consumers and for the first time, allow the patient the ability to pick and choose their own doctor and treatments instead of the state calling the shots based on rationed care.

Monopolies never work, especially when the government has any say or control over them and in turn the citizens of same country.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy

And if everyone actually paid for their own policy and insurance companies were allow to compete with one another in order to provide the best coverage for the best price competition would naturally lower the price of said coverage. Tort reform and allowing customers the choice to purchase coverage from where ever instead of a specific geographic area can and will reduce prices for coverage. When there are more people collecting from a system than are paying into a system the results will mean longer and longer periods of time to schedule appointments to actually see a doctor much less have a problem diagnosed and treated. I understand that the citizens of the U.K. are use to waiting extremely long periods of time between actually seeing a doctor and being treated. Especially for major surgeries. I guess the real question remains,continue the statu quo and wait for an entitlement that will collapse under its own weight or consider actually paying ones own way and allow competition and non governmental intervention to overall lower cost to consumers and for the first time, allow the patient the ability to pick and choose their own doctor and treatments instead of the state calling the shots based on rationed care.

Monopolies never work, especially when the government has any say or control over them and in turn the citizens of same country.

easy-lift guy

We the workers at least do pay for it through national insurance (it's not set high enough but that's another story) if they made it a higher percentage of salary/ profits then it would have better funding

We the workers at least do pay for it through national insurance (it's not set high enough but that's another story) if they made it a higher percentage of salary/ profits then it would have better funding

The pool that your paying into is not self sustaining . With the continued influx of more citizens both legal and illegal the system has two choices. Continue to postpone the eventual collapse of the system by pressing more patients into an ever longer waiting period for goods and services or institute emergency measures to allow free market conditions the chance to compete against one another in order to provide the best coverage and service for the preinums paid by each person needing coverage. I personally can not see how the inevitable collapse can be avoided, maybe delayed. This of course would not occur over night and would need to be phase into over a period of 10 years as a starting point. The nhs as many people have grown up with and that has existed I believe for at least 3 generations would eventually need to be phased out since

patients would need to become responsible for their or health and well being for the first time. I think it could be successful, however the government would loose a great deal of control over everyone and that may be the single biggest reason why it can not be tried or allowed to succeed or fail on its own merits.

easy-lift guy

A lot of interesting posts. I worked in the NHS for a very long time and have seen a lot of changes over the years, not all for the better. The NHS is held together by the good will of a lot of passionate and skilled individuals, who often go above and beyond the call of duty on a daily basis because they care for what they do. in my opinion their are far to many managers who have to "tick their boxes" and who are dictated to from politicians who do not have a clue about real health care issues, It should be left to the people who understand it.

I have also worked as a Locum part time between my NHS commitments and then full time because circumstances demanded it at that particular time in my life. Yes you earn more money but, like previously mentioned their is no sick pay, holiday pay and you sometimes get cancelled the day before so their is no work. Depending on your speciality and availability I sometimes travelled for 2 hours to the hospital, completed my 10 - 12hour shift, drove home, and did that again all week.

What has not been mentioned are the health tourists, the individuals who "arrive" in the UK and present at A&E with an illness, only to find out it is a long standing illness that requires major or long standing care. Another drain on resources is interpreters! for patients that do do not speak English the hospital has to hire an interpreter which costs approximately £200/day. the patient does not foot the bill, and you are not allowed to use a family member also. We tried to use existing staff where applicable, but it wasn't possible.

The list is endless and I could go on and on about wasting money in the NHS. Unfortunately It is not a free service, and it has to be paid for in our taxes. Unfortunately they don't get it right all the time, however the majority of people will give you 110% to get it right, I know I always did.

Edited by smokewood